Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

snow tire help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow tire help

I purchased michelin synchrones for my disco. I heard they were much better than the factory goodyears. Are these tires ok for snow. Has anyone had good luck with them. I was told they are all season tires but i am not sure. What is a great snow tire for my discothanks caleb

Old 12-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: snow tire help

Where do you live, how much snow are you talking about, 16 or 18" tires?

Old 12-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Three Wheeling

18inch and we get quite a bit in central washington. mike did you get my reply about the cdlcaleb

Old 12-20-2008, 05:27 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I have no experience with michelins but I tend to stay away from anything called an all season tire. That just means the tire is meant to do everything but does nothing well. I speaking in general terms, not specifically about your Michelins. How much research did you do prior to purchasing the tires? Before I bought my Goodyear Wranglers I went to the websites for all the major tire makers I could think of and did my best of comparing the tires that I felt fit what I needed. I spent most of my free time for nearly 2 weeks comparing tires. In the end, the Goodyears won over the rest even though they were more expensive than most of the others I considered.

Let us know how your Michelins perform in snow. From watching the weather channel it looks like you'll have a good opportunity over the next few days.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Three Wheeling

I'd have to agree on the "all-season" comment from DMike. Going to a true Ice rated tire, even non-studded, was a night/day switch for me re: winter driving.

As for the Michelins... I liked the Synchrones FAR more that the original Goodyears, so much so that when I blew out a michelin and had to drive around on the spare GY, the highway noise drove me nuts, and I end up replacing all of them. Check out this survey results tool at tirerack.com, it can be sorted to compare performance in wet, dry, winter, etc.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...p;sortValue=16

I'm on the 3rd set of pirellis now. I used to alternate between scorpion Pzeros in the summer and Scorpion Ice&Snow in the winter, but found the Ice&snows to be a terific on-roadsummer tire as well, so that is my 'all-season' tire now. they don;t last as long since they are soft rubber, but they are cheap enough to replace every couple of years, and are awesome in the below zero driving conditions here in MT. storing a second set of tires and flipping them twice a year was a nuisance for me anyway...

Good luck. duck

________
Ipad cases

Last edited by phatduc; 05-03-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Three Wheeling

OK, just for S&Gs I ran the survey tool on tirerack.com for studless winter tires in the class suitable for the landy D2. Michelin latitudes, Pirelli Scorp Ice&Snow, and Blizzak all look to be very highly rated on ice. All three are on-road designs (not your choice forheavy duty off-roading or DEEP snow), quiet highway ride, well balanced at high speed on pavement, etc.

________
Roll blunts

Last edited by phatduc; 05-03-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Rock Crawling

we have a set of synchrones that gets used as a summer set on our range rover. we waited too long last year to swap em out for the off road/winter set and found them to be terrible in the snow. the rubber is too hard, the tread isnt very deep, and there isnt too much siping.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just spent the day running around to various tire stores, listening to their deals, etc., and running back home to the computer to verify the information. After avoiding being sold quite a few different sets of tires that were completely ridiculous for what we use the rig for (mostly highway, but some off pavement, and general all around tire), I went with the Toyo Open Country A/T (255/55/R18). Happens that we are in the midst of a decent snow and cold here in Western Washington, so I go the opportunity to try them out on the ride home. Going up hills, quite a few cars sliding all over the place. These things work like a champ... Very nice.

And it's still snowing, so more fun will be had tomorrow...

J

Old 12-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The Toyo Open Country A/T is a very nice tire, I had them on my Montero.