Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So many wires please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 01:40 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So many wires please help

Hi there,

I picked up a Disco II, 00' and there are some electrical problems related to cut or wrongly connected wires behind the stereo unit.

There was an aftermarket stereo that was then taken out and there are odd wire connections (aftermarket) and loose wires everywhere. It seems someone cut the original stereo wire harness out plus other power wires ect to try to get the aftermarket system working without a tester or diagram.

SO, the dash instrument area does not illuminate, and the shifter illumination turns off when you turn the headlights on and is on when the headlights are off-weird? Furthermore, I tried to hook up an aftermarket stereo adapter to what the previous owner "configured" and could not locate an all time illumination wire even with a dc voltage tester. ALSO, the cigarette lighters don't work. Wow, this might be a big job.

All sets of fuses are good. I got the LR rave software but am still having trouble identifying what each loose or aftermarket wire connects to. Can anyone please point me in the right direction to get the wiring system back to normal? Are there any manuals or software, other diagrams ect that anyone can guide me too?

Thanks for you help it is sincerely appreciated
lukebiesinger@hotmail.com

Luke

Old 11-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I may be able to help out some but wow where to start, I have a D1 and my shifter lights work like yours so that may be normal, although I thought it was a bit weird myself at first. So for starters lets go with what wires are cut behind the radio, some pictures might help as well if you have a decent camera.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

another thought, you said the lighters dont work? those are pretty simple power and ground so unless there are cut wires inline, that would leave either a blown fuse or a bad ground. you said ALL fuses were good? did you actually test them all or just inspect the ones you thought were suspect? I would actually test all fuses except the airbag fuses.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately your best bet is to just bite the bullet & go at it with a DMM. Print out the wiring diagrams from RAVE and just follow each wire from the fuse block. If you run into an aftermarket splice chase it down. Mark off the diagram when you complete a circuit just to keep thins straight. It's a long tedious process, but sometimes there is no easy way to do this if a PO just went to town with wire cutters and splices...