Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some recent symptoms with AC and Engine Temps

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Some recent symptoms with AC and Engine Temps

Hello all after a long period of no trouble my Disco II is starting get symptoms of some things going wrong I feel.

First, I recently had my AC recharged after a long stretch of it being drained. The AC guy said it has a leak. So I basically do not use it until I have the funds to get it repaired. ( I can pay it now I'm just frugal)

Yesterday when I started the truck I heard the AC beep 2 or 3 times. Is this the trucks way of telling me I'm low on freon? Am I damaging anything(compressor) by continuing to drive the truck even though I'm not using the AC?

I've also had some temperature spikes that have left me curious. When I'm on the highway my temps are 194-197. When I reach a stop or hit stop and go traffic my temperatures are going as high as 204.8. Now I also realize that in NC it's been very hot (routinely 90+ degrees).

It seems that at night however my temperatures are more regular usually staying at 194, maybe hitting 199. My question is, does this sound like a thermostat problem? My motorad 180 is about 2 years old.

I'm also hearing a slight squeel on the belt but fades away after start up. I wonder if the ac leak is making that noise?

The waterpump, radiator and fan clutch are still on my to do list for my maintenance. Does it sound like one of these is starting to go? Im not finding any coolant leaks to speak of and I recently replaced my upper radiator hoses.

Thank you as always!

Old 07-29-2014, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Does not sound like tstat problem. Ambient would no effect it's operation.
Yes squeak could be ac.
You could do a quick hand spin test to see if v fan clutch has resistance
Also check to see if your ac electric fan is working with ac on

Old 07-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

push the ECON button and that will shut the compressor off, cutting out the clutch. Which in turn stops the internals of the compressor from spinning.

if you are going to replace The water-pump, radiator and fan clutch, i would put in a td5 thermostat at the same time

Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

This won't help fix anything, but it might give you a clue as to what the Three Beeps were.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well guys I don't know what to think of this. Finally took the time to pop the hood and start her up to give her a listen. She started fine no issues, no squeeks. I went inside for a few minutes and came back out to hear this. It sounds as if it's coming from the AC compressor. Sounds like it's screwed to me. The bearing was spinning fine, no wobble on the pulleys. No engine codes either.

Please tell me what you think. Ive shut the truck down until I know whats going on here.

View My Video

Last edited by DiscoRover007; 07-31-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't get to the link to hear the sound but are you sure it's not the bearing? I had a small squeal/chirp this morning after my rad replacement. I pulled the belt and I had a very slight play in the bearing and sounded good when I spun it. I pulled the pulley / bearing assembly off and installed a good used one. All better. Try turning the center part of the clutch that attaches to the pump inside the unit. There should be some resistance but overall be smooth. If you feel binding you may have internal issues.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

GROVERDISCO

The video is in the first link I posted, not the second one. Thanks for the advice I will look into that. It doesn't sound like a chirp to me though. More like ratcheting metal.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:38 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I would remove the belt and spin the accessorizes one by one sounds like something has a bad bearing and is siezing

Old 08-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

This might be a dumb question but the bearings spin clockwise if you are facing the engine correct?

So I took the belt off. I didn't hear any noise spinning the AC or steering pump pulleys. If I spin the alternator pully clockwise there is no sound. But if I spin it counter clock wise there is a slight chirp.

Tensioner pulley was fine. However I did notice that there is belt residue on the pulleys and when I removed the belt my hands were covered black from touching the inside of the belt.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

You shouldnt have any squeaks or chirps in either direction with ANY of your pulleys. Replace your alternator pulley bearing, or the whole unit. If your idlers and tensioner pulleys are original too, replace them NOW, along with the belt. They will fail

Quick Reply: Some recent symptoms with AC and Engine Temps