Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes you get lucky

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sometimes you get lucky

A couple weeks ago I posted that I was losing a small amount of coolant and thought my headgaskets were leaking again after three replacements. I searched and searched, took my truck into the shop but we didn't find where it was leaking so, I kept topping it off.

Then, last weekend I said "screw it" and drove my truck on a 1200 mile roundtrip with no loss of coolant - which really continued to confuse me.

Anyway, this week I noticed my coolant was down again by an inch or so just from my wife driving to work a couple days. Then, was seeing the wife off a couple mornings ago and after she started the truck I actually saw coolant rapidly dripping on the garage floor, down from the passenger and center area of the radiator.

To make a long story short, the sensor (SES I believe) below the bottom coolant hose on the radiator had backed out and was leaking into a hole in the frame cross-member located directly below it. That made it difficult to detect since it wasn't pooling anywhere that I could get to. I think It had only been leaking when cold and the cold weather we've had increased the leak till the frame finally accumulated enough coolant to start dripping out the weep holes. Snugged the fitting up and it's good to go.

Just wanted to share, this is a good example of the need to know and watch your truck.

Last edited by LuvToDisco; 12-10-2009 at 08:47 AM.