Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare tire security

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Spare tire security

Has anyone done anything to prevent/deter theft of your spare tire?

Now that i have a new tire (common size with stock Jeeps), I wanted to do something to prevent someone form taking it. It is parked in a train station parking lot for 12 hrs per day.

My idea is to drill a hole in the spare tire carrier and use a cable trigger lock that I have laying around to lock the spare to the carrier. The only thing visible would be the cable wrapping one of the spokes of the wheel. The lock portion would be behind the carrier.

Anyone have any other ideas.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Locking Lug Nuts. I got a complete set (5 piece plus adapter) for like $40 on ebay, only one of them had been used for the spare. So far it has survived 4 Months parked in Humboldt Park, Chicago. To be honest, I'm shocked I still have the tire cover.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Two/three different types of LR stock security lug nuts on the spare. Makes it hard to steal and a lot of bother.

Latest Products - Britpart - The Quality Parts for Land Rovers

Old 12-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I will keep an eye out for a cheap set of wheel locks, Having a hard time justifying spending $68 to lock my spare with a locking lug nut, when I can drill a hole for free.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/RRB100510.cfm

Old 12-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

"My idea is to drill a hole in the spare tire carrier and use a cable trigger lock that I have laying around to lock the spare to the carrier. The only thing visible would be the cable wrapping one of the spokes of the wheel. The lock portion would be behind the carrier."

If someone wants something bad enough, any locking mechanism can be overcome, but your idea above is far from the best; not even reasonably safe; the hanging cable would be a challenge to many guys, and a simple quick job to remove--can you say cutting the cable, who needs to get at the lock portion, (you are not locking up a bike, man); while a locking lug nut would be much harder to overcome---mine has been on for a very long time, and nobody yet, I am aware of, has fooled with it.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just going to back up what was said above me here. Cable lock is only a hassle for you, not for any thief who wants your stuff.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:23 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acamato
I will keep an eye out for a cheap set of wheel locks, Having a hard time justifying spending $68 to lock my spare with a locking lug nut, when I can drill a hole for free.

Lug Nut Locking For Spare Wheel (Part # RRB100510) - Land Rover bolts\clamps\brackets\washers from Atlantic British
I wouldn't trust a cable lock to protect a $300 bike, let alone something on a land rover. Any thief can cut a lock, it takes a prepared thief to have multiple land rover security lug keys.

Also, I'd say the 40 I spent on 5 locking nuts is a lot cheaper than 1 stolen wheel.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Great, thanks for the thread. I'm gonna sleep good tonight

Old 12-11-2013, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
Great, thanks for the thread. I'm gonna sleep good tonight
I would, too, but its cold out here, sleeping under my truck. It is also a little uncomfortable with my hand on the spare.
I think i will just weld it in place, tomorrow.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by willypilgrim
I wouldn't trust a cable lock to protect a $300 bike, let alone something on a land rover. Any thief can cut a lock, it takes a prepared thief to have multiple land rover security lug keys.

Also, I'd say the 40 I spent on 5 locking nuts is a lot cheaper than 1 stolen wheel.
Or one with a 10mm wrench to unscrew the carrier... if the thief wants it bad enough, he will find a way to get it. I am looking to deter the potential thief. The crime rate is pretty low where I live.

I am going to keep an eye out for a $40 set of locking nuts. I just missed (listing ended) a single nut set for $20 shipped.

I never thought about my spare getting stolen when I had a covered stock size tire as the spare. Now that i have a 32" tire uncovered, I thought about it. I may be worrying about nothing.

Last edited by acamato; 12-12-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Spare tire security