Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spontaneous shifting from 4th to 3ed at constatnt high way speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Your alternator volts seem OK, but - when truck is not running, and you have that 12.92, what happens when you turn on the head lights? Should not drop like a stone to 11 or less (dead cell).

Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Your alternator volts seem OK, but - when truck is not running, and you have that 12.92, what happens when you turn on the head lights? Should not drop like a stone to 11 or less (dead cell).
Checked the battery voltage this am and it is 12.42 turned the head lights on and it dropped to just above 12. Dome light was left on the whole night

Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling

I also tested the TPS with voltmeter and seems to be functioning ok. No skips or gaps

Old 04-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You have a problem, you have to be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts or your ECU's won't work properly.
Tested mine last week and showed 12.65 on one battery and 12.78 on the second, 14.75 at idle with the engine on. Better go verify if your's is a battery or alternator problem and fix it.
If it is the battery, buy one with a rating of 800 CCA's or higher. If it is the alternator, do not buy rebuilt, go the British Parts of Utah for a great deal on a new 130 amp Bosch.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You have a problem, you have to be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts or your ECU's won't work properly.
Tested mine last week and showed 12.65 on one battery and 12.78 on the second, 14.75 at idle with the engine on. Better go verify if your's is a battery or alternator problem and fix it.
If it is the battery, buy one with a rating of 800 CCA's or higher. If it is the alternator, do not buy rebuilt, go the British Parts of Utah for a great deal on a new 130 amp Bosch.
The date stamp on the battdry, is this the production date?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

No, that is the date installed, why do you ask in that it has nothing to do with your trucks issue?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
No, that is the date installed, why do you ask in that it has nothing to do with your trucks issue?
It looks like I need a new battery and the reason why I am asking is because that date 2011. And I thought battery should last more than a year

Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You went to Canada last weekend right?
It was hot here, was it hot there?
Did you run the a/c on your trip?
The cruise control and stereo? GPS plugged in? Cell phone charger?
All of these things will drain your battery, if your alternator is marginal it will not keep up with the load and the battery will eventually drain.

Here is what I would do, leave it alone until it acts up again, you are just going to be replacing parts to fix a problem that you do not know for 100% is there.
It runs fine now correct?
Battery is full correct?
Drive it and dont worry about it.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
You went to Canada last weekend right?
It was hot here, was it hot there?
Not in Canada, but it was hot after we crossed te border and this is when the problem started
Did you run the a/c on your trip?
Only for few minutes at times. I have a newborn and we did not want the car to be too coldand it was not running when the car finally stalled
The cruise control and stereo? GPS plugged in? Cell phone charger?
Cruise control on disco is junk, it was feeling as if a kid was driving the car constant acelarating and decelarating, no GPS, but kids Ipad was intermittently hooked to get charged

All of these things will drain your battery, if your alternator is marginal it will not keep up with the load and the battery will eventually drain.
Possible

Here is what I would do, leave it alone until it acts up again, you are just going to be replacing parts to fix a problem that you do not know for 100% is there.
That's what I am planing on doing, but I will get a $19 CPS and just carry it with me along with the voltmeter
It runs fine now correct?
Yes
Battery is full correct?
Yes, it is only one year old and looks like it has 3 years free replacement warranty from advance auto parts
Drive it and dont worry about it.
I was bragging to my wife that the car will take us anywhere, but it was a scarry encounter with 3 kids(one new born) in the car, I am glad it happened after we crossed the border and that the car made it home. I will drive it but until I know what was wrong no more long trips in disco. I averaged 14.6 MPG for the whole trip and this is also nothing to brag about.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your automatic climate control will keep the cabin at a constant temp, thats why it has the numbers on it, set the temp, turn on full auto and forget about it, it will turn the a/c on/off as needed as well as adjust the fan speed to heat/cool the cabin.
So no need to worry about the newborn, besides, you can always cover him/her with a blanket, thats what we do, we have a 5 month old.

Quick Reply: spontaneous shifting from 4th to 3ed at constatnt high way speed