Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRS light - bad airbag or bad harness?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorhead1
Are you still SRS light free with your fix?? Mine went away all summer, but now its back and annoying me.....
Largely yes; still SRS light-free. I say largely because earlier this month the SRS light came on a few times while driving but then didn't come on again when the truck was restarted. I expect it was the same connections being goofy again but I can't say for sure because I don't have anything that will read SRS codes. Yet.

Did you do a similar fix on yours, or did your SRS light go away without you doing anything?

Last edited by mln01; 11-05-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

The only thing I did with mine this last Spring was remove the drivers air bag and check the connections, put back together with some dielectric grease. I was SRS free for quite awhile, but now I cant get the light to stay off. My code reader (Autel 619) will clear and read SRS. I still have Drivers side open airbag circuit once again. I thought I'd ask you about your fix before I pulled out the center console and checked my wiring...

Is there a way to test the airbag itself?? Before throwing money away?

My radio functions and etc work correctly with the roto coupler.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

Yes, there is a way to check the airbag itself, but I doubt you'll like it.

You can remove the airbag and connect loooong wires to its terminals, then give the airbag a nice little 12V jolt. If the airbag is functional it will "deploy." But I don't think that's the answer you're looking for. I'm told, however, that there are more than a few YouTube videos demonstrating this method and using the test to propel objects high into the air.

But instead of testing the airbag why not test the harness like I described? I know it's a fair amount of work to remove the airbag and the console but once you get that done the testing is simple and, in my case at least, conclusive.

I'd be more than happy to have a phone conversation with you about this if you (or anyone else with questions) would like to do that. I don't want to become the next Disco Mike but sometimes it's helpful to talk with someone instead of trying to communicate in writing only.

Good luck, and please let us know your outcome.

Last edited by mln01; 11-03-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

I want to add what I found when I got the SRS light on my dash...

I read online that the SRS light is coming on and triggering a fault code B1016 "open circuit fault in LH pretensioner circuit".

Basically, the plug for the seatbelt is getting pulled under the seat when I moved the seat forward and back. The wires get pulled causing a short in the wires and setting off my SRS light.
I tried loosening the wire bundle at the driver's seat belt connection and the SRS light is out... for now.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:38 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is very informative. My SVR is at the dealership for the same issue (SRS Light on).
Hopefully they'll be able to root-cause the issue quickly . Thankfully I'm still under CPO warranty.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:08 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did the dealer say?

Old 11-14-2019, 07:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I want to add what I found when I got the SRS light on my dash...

I read online that the SRS light is coming on and triggering a fault code B1016 "open circuit fault in LH pretensioner circuit".

Basically, the plug for the seatbelt is getting pulled under the seat when I moved the seat forward and back. The wires get pulled causing a short in the wires and setting off my SRS light.
I tried loosening the wire bundle at the driver's seat belt connection and the SRS light is out... for now.
Same solution worked here.