Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start problems 2004Disco2a TDI

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:08 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start problems 2004Disco2a TDI

Hi,

New to the forum but have had my Disco for 2 years.

Last 2 years the car has been a dream and very little issues. She has 175K km on her and services have been done regularly.

A few weeks ago I started to have problems getting her started. Thought it might be the lack of driving that was causing the problem. I was under the car to put grease in the front axle and saw that the fuel pressure regulator was leaking. Thinking that this might cause a drop in pressure in the fuel system, i switched it out with a new one. tight working space but got it done. Checked several times to see if it is leaking, no drips.

Changed out the fuel pump as well for good measure, the diesel filter as well ,the glow plugs and batteri (it was 6 years old).

Have checked all the plugs to the glow plugs as well, all are seated as they should...rather as far as I know.

Checked the relay in the bank og fuses under the hood, the relay checks out and there is voltage and resistance as it should be.

Filled up the coolant which has a nasty tendency to become low for some reason, but very slowly.

Oil level is steady, I check it regularly.

Unfortunately, the start issues have persisted.

If the car is warm, it starts with out a problem, when it is cold I have a hell of a time getting the motor to fire. The starter motor works and the motor turns over.

Any ideas of what can be causing the problem?

All the best

Karsten

Old 05-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Not too many people with TD5 here. You'll have much better luck at Australian Land Rover Owners

Does it smoke after you finally get it started from cold?

Old 05-25-2013, 02:17 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info about the Australian site.

The car does not smoke at all when cold starting. Noticed that there is an increased amount of soot around the edge of the tail pipe. Never been like that before. Checked the fuel filter inside the wheel arch, it was not exactly cold. Could hold it with out a problem, but is was warm. Is it supposed to be warm? I have never really thought about what temperature, if any, it should be at.

KCCO

Karsten