Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

State of engine swaps/builds in 2018?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default State of engine swaps/builds in 2018?

I know there's quite a few folks working on several different solutions for the poor reliability of the V8 engines found in the D II, including Chevy swaps as well as improvements to the Rover V8.

I love my Discovery II, but I really lack confidence in the powertrain. I want to be confident that I can tow a 5000 lb camp trailer across the US this summer. There will also be a lot of light to medium duty off-roading, without the trailer attached. I'm currently planning on running 31" tires, and my truck has a coil-spring conversion in the rear. I also plan to drive this truck to the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico, although I won't be taking the camper on that trip.

I've seen/heard that an LS swap means I lose all the Rover stuff like HDC, TC, etc. Is that accurate? What would it take to put together a Rover V8 that can comfortably* tow 5k lbs across the USA and back reliably? I've considered some sort of 4.0/4.6 frankenstein, stroker, etc... But the reputation of these blocks scares me. What about the diesel swaps? That'd solve my issue re: losing the Rover electronics, and I'd imagine the diesel would have an easier time towing. But I've heard the diesels are dogs, and the swap's not worth it.

So, assuming reliability and ease of maintenance were your #1 priority, you had a 175k truck that you're not terribly confident in, and you're willing to spend what it takes to have a reliable DII... What would you do?

Thanks!

* "Comftortably" meaning I can keep it above 55 MPH on all but the gnarliest hills.

Last edited by mcaz; 12-28-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:43 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

If you have the fab skills(or can pay someone who does)
buy a wrecked Tahoe, and swap the drivetrain and electronics.
No small feat, and easier said than done.
Rebuild the Land Rover engine and spend the money on whatever other things need replaced.
Cheaper, easier, and keeps the traction control and cdl(which you should add if you don't have).
Or...buy a Tahoe.

Old 12-28-2017, 09:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm right there with ya mcaz. I found out in Oct that mine had a blown head gasket, and I should do the in-lint t-stat mod, the throttle body heater delete, and now issues like cracked oil pump gears and walked cam bearings / wiped cam lobes. I can't see any alternative other than to run mechanical gauges to keep an eye on the repairs. I want to attend Overland Expo in Flagstaff in May, but only if I can afford to have it towed home. It sucks when you love a truck this much...

Old 12-28-2017, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Trail head 4x4 has a set up that uses everything Rover except for the LS itself. It retains all the factory systems functional and intact

The following users liked this post:
ZGPhoto (12-28-2017)
Old 12-28-2017, 09:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
Trail head 4x4 has a set up that uses everything Rover except for the LS itself. It retains all the factory systems functional and intact
^^^this is the only correct way to go.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

But trail head won't publish their process or sell any swap parts. Call me crazy but 10k for a swap that would cost 3k in any other vehicle (done diy) is ridiculous. To do it right would cost maybe $1000 in hardware, including the engine, and quite a bit of wiring. But I bet they do the entire swap in two days or less. the R&D on your own would take month's.

I get that it's a niche market and they probably aren't making a huge profit due to small turnover rate, but damn it really sucks that they won't even sell you their adapters and the wiring instructions.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure you have seen this if you are interested in a LSX swap.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-thread-63211/

I have no idea what is involved in the TrailHead swap, but if you don't get an upgraded transmission, you won't tow 5K lbs for very long. A bullet proof 4L60E is about $2400. An alum. block LS truck motor will be considerably more than $1000 unless it's toast.
Mine is pretty much an offroad only truck now, so many of the parts and breakdowns, upgrades are for rock and hill climbing. Read the above and learn from my mistakes. That's why I posted it.
P.S. An upgraded radiator and fans to cool a tow rig will be around $700.
Putting an LSX in a Discovery does not remove it from the "Money Pit" catagory.

Last edited by Shade Tree; 12-29-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

If you want an LS and retain all the Rover goodies, Trailhead is your easiest option. Lucky 8 is now doing the swaps for trailhead also. Can't recall if ShadeTree's swap retained abs, traction, hdc, but he posted the link so you can figure that out.

The easiest way though is to just do a refresh on your engine and upgrade your cooling. I tow every other day with mine. I run 33" tires with stock gears and I've towed as much as 7300lbs at 60.

If I were going cross country, I'd rebuild my engine first. Pull it out. Do a dinkle ball hone in the cylinders, put in new rings, bearings (especially cam bearings), and have the valves lapped or lap them myself. New oil pump and timing chain too, and a cam wouldn't be a bad idea. Before the cam you can rebuild the engine for $400 if you diy. After the cam you're looking at $700, plus $50 for the dinkle ball hone, and fluids. You're easily in for under $1000 even if you have to have the heads machined.

I'll throw up some pics and specs for my cooling system setup.ive been meaning to for a while, but she'll keep you running cool.

Old 12-29-2017, 11:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
If you want an LS and retain all the Rover goodies, Trailhead is your easiest option. Lucky 8 is now doing the swaps for trailhead also. Can't recall if ShadeTree's swap retained abs, traction, hdc, but he posted the link so you can figure that out.
NO: ABS, Traction Control, HDC
When you remove the Trans. ECU OR the Engine ECU you will lose the above.

My new Hill Descent is to pull hard on the e-brake until it is about to snap.
I assume the reason LR did not install auto lockers is because it messes with the TC. Hard to use both. I have Ashcroft lockers front and rear, but I am thinking about a Lincoln Locker instead for the rear.

Quick story about my transmission rebuild, the guy called me after he got it apart and told me I needed to bring him some more money, (down payment was $700). When I got there he said "I didn't really want to say anything, but this transmission looks like it has been abused."

I handed him another $1100 and said, yeah that probably happened on several occasions, and I'm not done yet, so build it to stand up to MY abuse if that's even possible.

Old 12-29-2017, 01:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
But trail head won't publish their process or sell any swap parts. Call me crazy but 10k for a swap that would cost 3k in any other vehicle (done diy) is ridiculous. To do it right would cost maybe $1000 in hardware, including the engine, and quite a bit of wiring. But I bet they do the entire swap in two days or less. the R&D on your own would take month's.

I get that it's a niche market and they probably aren't making a huge profit due to small turnover rate, but damn it really sucks that they won't even sell you their adapters and the wiring instructions.
$1k? Including engine? Maybe for the most ghetto possible swap. Plan on at least $4k if you do it yourself with a quality engine, replacing parts that need replacing, and not getting ****ty Chinese parts for everything. The adapter plate alone is probably almost a grand. It's not as thought they're manufacturing thousands of these adapters, limited runs cost $$$

Quick Reply: State of engine swaps/builds in 2018?