Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering problem, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problem, please help!

Today I took the D2 into a ditch, coming out of it I started to hear a weining noise coming from under the hood, the steering got harder and choppy, while driving straight, there is no noise but when you turn, it makes the noise again.

This land rover seems it never had the pump replaced nor the gear box. Now its very hard to turn and the PS fluid is coming right out of the resevoir when you turn the wheel.

The D2 had almost 160k miles and its a se7, please advice what I shoul do first and what's the deal with the Chevy S10 pump.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Most likely the pump, but you can "listen" to it with a wood stick held to your ear and the other end on the pump (or other things under the hood). Noise will be very easy to find. If pump has low fluid it will make noise. Perhaps all you did was damage a hose or fitting. Start by adding fluid back to the system, check for leaks when steering is turned lock to lock. Don't leave all the way at lock for more than 20 seconds or so.

The Chevy pump write up is for a D1, but perhaps others with a D2 and that pump will comment.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Drifting

Thank you for the help. I listen to the pump and it sounds awful so I ordered a new one with a lifetime warranty. Now I have to address the ACE problem. Happy Holidays guys.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Where did you order your pump from and how much did you pay?
What is wrong with your ACE?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Where did you order your pump from and how much did you pay?
What is wrong with your ACE?
I ordered the pump from Autozone and paid $237.00. It should be here today.
I fill the PS reservoir last night and tried to see where the fluid is coming from when I turned the wheel, and it was coming out of the reservoir with very good pressure, the more I turn the wheel the more it came out while making a whining noise.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Drifting

So I replaced the power steering pump and nothing, tried bleeding it and nothing, the fluid inside the reservoir doesn't even move, there is no PS noise at all and the wheel is so hard to turn still. Really need help!!!!

Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If no bleed, no fluid comes out of bleed fitting on steering box, problem with new pump. Any chance of belt route being changed? Pump moves fluid at all speeds, at idle it makes just under 100 PSI, at road speed 300 - 900 PSI, and under test with a gauge can generate on the order of 1500 PSI. So fluid not moving, and none coming out bleeder is a problem. Any chance of packing material stuffed in pump intake side?

Old 01-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Drifting

Update.

This past weekend finally I got another pump from Autozone using the lifetime warranty that came with it, I installed it and yes it works, feels like a Cadillac. I damaged the OEM pump by keepeing it on full lock for more than 10 seconds and the pressure blew the gasket/seal out. Thank you for all your help!

Old 01-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
If no bleed, no fluid comes out of bleed fitting on steering box, problem with new pump. Any chance of belt route being changed? Pump moves fluid at all speeds, at idle it makes just under 100 PSI, at road speed 300 - 900 PSI, and under test with a gauge can generate on the order of 1500 PSI. So fluid not moving, and none coming out bleeder is a problem. Any chance of packing material stuffed in pump intake side?
Thank you for all your help.