Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default steering wheel wobble

I noticed today as I was driving around 50-55 mph that while going over a bump (mostly over raised or lowered manhole covers) that my steering wheel jiggled back and forth a bit more than usual, not that it moved back and forth farther than before just a little bit longer. I wouldn't be too concerned about this as it isnt too bad, but I had a jeep years ago that developed a death wobble, I would replace the steering stabilizer when it got bad but I don't remember seeing one under my truck (maybe I just missed it).

any thoughts on things I should look at?

Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Before purchasing a new stabiliser (yes there is one) get up under your rig and tighten your suspension/steering connections. If you've never done so, there is a very good chance you'll encounter a few loose points. Check every bolt, both sides.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I replaced the steering box about 6-7 months ago so that may be a good place to start. I was thinking stabilizer because it feels like it is correcting just taking an extra second to do it now.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Chris, how many miles on your truck, if over 60K the stabilizer is shot, install a new Old Man Emu.
Other things to look at are the bushings and tie rod ends and especially the swivels. If they haven't been serviced I would refill them with Rovers new grease, not gear oil, repack the wheel bearings and set the preload on the swivels.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The truck has almost 140K on it which only about the last 10K are mine, I have only had the truck for about a year now and for the most part it has run smoothly, I just noticed the wobble this morning. I was told from the PO that the truck was maintained very well (it was his daily driver), which I would believe because he was a rover man (not only did he have another rover as an off road rig, but he also had a parts truck for the two of them) he sold me one and was trying to sell the parts truck as it was because he was moving to a larger house and needed some extra money. With that said I am not certain of the history of the maintenance but I have not had to do nearly as much general repair on this truck as I have had to with other vehicles I have bought in the past with similar mileage, and considering it is a land rover that is a bit surprising to me!

I will check out all of the things you said though Mike, Thank you.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

ditto to suede........it's likely that something's loose, check them all, even if they "look" tight, my truck acted the same way and in my case it ended up being the panhard rod bolts were loose...but it was hard to see that because the suspension flexes and the rod wasn't loose when I grabbed it to check because of where the truck was setting.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Things to check/replace, in order ease to check/replace:
Suspension bushings
Swivel preload
Steering stabilizer - Absolutely the last thing