Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticking brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 07:45 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sticking brakes

Hi, everyone. I need some help. My 04 discovery has an intermittently sticky front passenger brake. Every 2 or 3 times i drive the car and arrive at my destination, i can smell brakes and the brake components on that wheel are blazing hot.

Took the caliper off and determined that neither piston is stuck and the guide pins move freely as well. Plenty of life on the pads. Sprayed everything down with brake parts cleaner, put new pad lube on and it was fine for about 60 miles. But after arriving home from the grocery store last night, the front right brakes were again smelly and very hot.

Pads, rotor and caliper were replaced 13 months/less than 5000 miles ago...

Old 10-20-2018, 08:11 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have heard of people having a problem with the flex lines on some vehicles were the inside of the hose starts coming apart (delaminating from the wire braid).
This turns the hose into a check valve not allowing the pressure to relieve completely causing the pads to drag?

Old 10-20-2018, 08:42 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BackInA88
I have heard of people having a problem with the flex lines on some vehicles were the inside of the hose starts coming apart (delaminating from the wire braid).
This turns the hose into a check valve not allowing the pressure to relieve completely causing the pads to drag?
Interesting. So I should try replacing the brake lines?

Old 10-21-2018, 04:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by blakslee720
Interesting. So I should try replacing the brake lines?
Yes, as mentioned by BacklnA88, the inner portion of the hose becomes a check valve of sorts. Especially, if the caliper has been dropped or allowed to hang with brake line attached. The hose is made up of two types of rubber, Outer - softer, weather resist, durable coating and Inner - harder, able to with stand high pressure of hydraulic brake system. So, when the caliper gets dropped the inner portion cracks inside, because it is not ment to stretch. This cracked section let's fluid under foot/power assist pressure travel through...but then the compromised section of the hose will not let the fluid return...hence...not releasing the caliper. That's why you don't notice the issue while pushing the caliper in with a c-clamp or large channel locks...you overcome the compromised area of the line with your ability to create pressure. The caliper can't do this, so it stays applied.

So, yes...change brake hoses.

Also, to anyone that is reading along that has a vehicle that pulls one way or the other while braking...brake hoses are a suspect here too. Since the good hose receives fluid easier than the bad/compromised hose and this action causes pulling or a back and forth grabbing feeling in the steering wheel.

Brian.