Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange electrical intermittent problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Strange electrical intermittent problem

Funny thing but as the weather gets wetter and colder I have noticed my front windshield wipers don't want to work until the the car warms up a bit. Of course this mostly happens when it is raining and I am about to drive and really need the wipers! I find if I wiggle the switch and turn signal arm they eventually come on. Been like this for the past 2-3 years in the wintertime.

Now my radio is acting up in a similar manner. It's an aftermarket Alpine with a Sirius tuner and when it's cold the radio turns on but won't play anything and the Sirius tuner doesn't come up as a Source, just the CD or regular radio but no sound from either. if I pull over and restart the car it suddenly works fine and I can choose the Sirius tuner as a source. Only happens on wet or damp cold mornings.

Yesterday I was having the turn signal/radio issue as I left my home and ran to the store. Got what I needed and started the car to head home and I had no power to the radio, AC, cigarette lighter at all, like a fuse was blown. Stopped the car and restarted it and it all came back on and everything worked fine.

Houston, I think we have a problem!

Old 12-22-2013, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The RAVE electrical drawings may show you a common ground or other connection to check. The wiper switch is hardened grease in the stalk switch, if you warm with a hair dryer it will start working, there are posts on removal and clean of same; turn wheel 90 degree to get at screws.

Or it could be you have passed within wifi range of the dealer and new problems have been downloaded.