Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021 | 10:37 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Strange noise

I have a 00 disco with 2” lift and slightly large tires, not a daily driver. Just turned 89k miles. Has disco I dif-lock linkage. Starting last fall, in hunting camp, it was making a clicking noise on acceleration or up any kind of hill. The noise changed with vehicle speed. After about 30 mph it went away. First rebuilt the front DL, all new u-joints and centering kit, no change. Then noise sounded like the passenger CV. I replaced the CV and hub. No change. Replaced pinion and carrier bearings. Still no change. Now the noise is getting very loud. Started off as a click now it sounds more like a knock and I can feel it in the t-case shift handle. Doesn’t matter if the t-case is locked, the noise doesn’t change. Recently it is bad enough it’s more like a banging. Ordered new CV and hub for drivers side. They sent me the wrong axle shaft but when I pulled the old axle the CV feels fine. The hub feels a little rough but not bad enough to account for the noise. No noticeable vibrations. Doesn’t matter if the t-case is in high or low range sound is at vehicle speed. Any suggestions? Also any suggestions on how to remove an axle nut. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2021 | 10:49 AM
Camel Trophy

@longshot did you check the transfer case and diff oil levels and state ?

Old 06-15-2021 | 10:53 AM
|
Three Wheeling

Yes, all were checked and topped off before I left for hunting camp last fall. When I did the pinion and carrier bearings I also installed lockers so both front and rear diffs are full.

Old 06-15-2021 | 01:38 PM
TReK

If you remove the front driveshaft (what you seem to be calling a DL -- whatever that might stand for) and lock the transfer case, do you still hear the noise?

Old 06-15-2021 | 08:02 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Prior to most of the work I’ve done on it so far, I tried that. With the driveshaft removed the noise went away. I found a post about a similar noise that said it might be the centering ball. I replaced it, put the driveshaft back in, the noise returned. My next thought was pinion bearing since when the front end was not under power it didn’t make the noise. I have a spare front driveshaft that i was thinking of trying next. Since the CV feels tight I need to get the axle and the hub apart and replace the hub since it is feeling a little rough.