Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:52 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck!!!

About half a year ago in my 2000 disco 2 one by one our door lock actuators failed. It started in the front with the passenger, then moved to the rear passengers, then got the drivers door too. Far a while the only way to open them was to manually open the drivers door and manually open them from the inside. Took it to land rover for its 100k check up and the bill was ridiculous was gonna be like 9 or 11 grand for the repairs(for all issues, not just locks). Did all the maintnence myself (saved myself a couple g's) but then got onto the door locks last. I heard that alot of the time its just a 20 cent spring inside the actuator so I took the panel of the rear passengers side door. I then tried taking of the actuator but in a shortage of time I had to end early. Since I had disconnected a few things I put the child lock on the panel of the door from unlock to lock (so that it wouldnt be stolen) and closed it. To my suprise the door will now not open, not even manually from the inside or out. I even unbolted the door from its connected side and tried to pull it off that way. Still no luck and I have no idea whats wrong, I have pulled every mechanism inside the door that opens it and still no luck. If anyone knows what I need to do please help, wit hthe purchase of my brand new LR3 I need to sell the Disco but cant in the condition its doors are in now. Thx

Old 05-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The child safety lock only prevents the door from being opened from the inside, so turning it on so no one could steal your truck was a moot point.

There is something unhooked from the outside door handle and with the child lock on it will in no way open from the inside.
You need to try and turn off the child lock.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:51 PM
5th Gear

Child Lock seemed like it locked the door from both ways after I put it on, the child lock is the switch on the side panel that has a lock unlock option and you slide the lever to your desired function right.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes, that is the child lock, but it only keeps the door from opening from the inside.
If it kept both the inside and outside door handles from working how in the hell would you get your kid out of the car?
They are to prevent your kids from opening the doors from the inside while driving.
They use them on cop cars too, thats how they keep people from getting out of the back seat and running away.
Read your owners manual on the child lock, there may be a tip in there to solve your problem.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you disconnected any pivot points for the handle linkages its probably not tripping the latch. It probably has nothing to do with the child locks

Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 PM
5th Gear

Yes your right, when I engaged the child lock it would still open from outside, I would just manually lock the actuator from inside the door to keep it closed both ways. Also the cord/line coming from the inside lever is disconnected from the actuator, could this be causing the problem. Will definetly check the manual see if there is anyways to disengage the child lock besides the door, I will also try and reatach the actuator parts. Thx for the help guys.