Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Key

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009 | 09:13 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Stuck Key

Ok, so apparently 210,000+ miles and things are finally catching up with me. I am in the process of replacing my headlight/turn switch. I currently have that removed and come to find that my key is now stuck in the ignition. It turns fine and even starts. It will go to about halfway between the location to remove and the first location, although it's still reading it as being on so I had to disconnect my battery so it wouldn't drain.

I read on here to check the ignition lock on the cylinder and also check to make sure the nut in the shift **** didn't back out. Both seem to work fine but I still can't remove the key.

Any ideas?

Old 06-14-2009 | 09:22 AM
Team Owner

Graphite, spray some graphite into the lock and work it a couple of times.

Old 06-14-2009 | 12:19 PM
Rock Crawling

I had the same problem when i got my DI. it was sitting for a year or two and nothing in it worked. I tried to spray graphite in the lock and that wouldn't do it. I just took apart the assembly and had to manually disengage a lock that holds the key in. I put it all back together and put more graphite into it and the things works like new. don't ask how to take apart the lock because i don't really remember. if you look at it long enough you will figure out a way.

Old 06-14-2009 | 03:21 PM
Mudding

This same thing just happened to my D1 about a week ago. At first I didn't know what was wrong and finally I got it out. Well then It happened a second time. I was workin it and was about to give up, and then I heard the button on my shifter click. I guess it was stuck and the key came out.
Now being curious about what had happened I stuck the key back in and turned it, held the shift button in and tried to remove the key. It wouldn't turn between position 1 and off. When I let the button back out the key turned and I was able to remove it. Make sure the shifter lock button is all the way out.

Old 06-14-2009 | 04:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nfbeckman
This same thing just happened to my D1 about a week ago. At first I didn't know what was wrong and finally I got it out. Well then It happened a second time. I was workin it and was about to give up, and then I heard the button on my shifter click. I guess it was stuck and the key came out.
Now being curious about what had happened I stuck the key back in and turned it, held the shift button in and tried to remove the key. It wouldn't turn between position 1 and off. When I let the button back out the key turned and I was able to remove it. Make sure the shifter lock button is all the way out.
Your shifter cable is out of adjustment, pop off the trim piece on the gear shifter and tighten the nut in there and few turns.
If you are not all the way in park then you can remove the key.