Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck key and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 02:21 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck key and other issues

Hey all - having a few problems with '98 Disco I.

First and foremost, my key is stuck in the ignition. I can't turn the ignition to the "off" position. I've also been stuck in park, which is rectified by removing/cleaning the break switches. My transmission temperature warning light comes on even when parked in the driveway. My passenger's seat control doesn't work. And finally, I think, my rear windshield wiper has stopped working. All of these things have happened in the last three to four days and all at once.

Any suggestions?

JR

Old 07-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Stuck key and other issues

ORIGINAL: JRPROV

Hey all - having a few problems with '98 Disco I.

First and foremost, my key is stuck in the ignition. I can't turn the ignition to the "off" position. I've also been stuck in park, which is rectified by removing/cleaning the break switches. My transmission temperature warning light comes on even when parked in the driveway. My passenger's seat control doesn't work. And finally, I think, my rear windshield wiper has stopped working. All of these things have happened in the last three to four days and all at once.

Any suggestions?

JR
Yes, one item at a time.
Is your steering wheel in the locked position or can you still turn left and right?
Have you checked your transmission level and quality of oil? How often do you service the transmission and how many miles on the truck?
As for the seat, have you checked the fuses and relay, do both switches not work in either direction?
On the rear wiper, do you know for sure if the motor is working or not, have you check for power to it, have you checked to see if the lock down nut that holds the wiper arm to the motor axle is tight, are the rear washers working?
Mike

Old 07-05-2006, 05:58 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stuck key and other issues

The truck is driveable. Steering wheel moves. I just can't turn it to the "off" position. I can turn the truck off, but can't turn the key far enough to get to the point so that I can pull it out.

The truck has 120,000 miles on it. I've had it for a little more than a year. Unsure about last transmission service. Fluid level is good.

As for the seat, the driver's seat switch will only operate when the driver's door is open. The passenger's seat doesn't work at all. These are both new conditions. Haven't checked the fuses. Will do.

The rear wiper moved with a little proding and is working properly.

I'm awaiting a new brake/stop switch, which I'm assuming will exstinguish my ABS lamp.