Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 disco 2 wont start +flashers activated

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 10:13 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 disco 2 wont start +flashers activated

Help please

I stopped by Autozone because my service engine light came on. It had a misfire on cylinder 4. So I pulled the cable and it had corrosion in it. AZ didn't have new cables so I cleaned the corrosion out and put the cable back on. Then when I turned the truck on the 4 way flashers turned on (yes I checked the button) and the vehicle will not start. I had AZ run codes and I got a P0560 System Voltage Malfunction and a P1536 idler speed control.

I had them clear the errors but as soon as you turn the truck back on it comes on. I have an aftermarket alarm so I disconnected that to make sure it wasn't the issue. I also tested the battery and it's at 12 volts. It cranks just fine. it's almost like it's not getting any fuel (it has a full tank)

Any thoughts / ideas? I am willing to try anything... I am 300 miles from home and dread having to go to the dealer (although I will if I have to).

Thanks in advance folks.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 99 disco 2 wont start +flashers activated

This is only an absolute guess and I do not know whay it may have happened but it may be the fuel cutoff switch. I recently had an accident in my discovery and the flashers came on and the fuel supply was cut off. There should be a reset switch under the hood on the passenger side (exact position shown in the owners manual). Reset the switch and then turn the ignition switch on, but do not start the car for about a minute. This turns the flashers off and then crank. If that was the issue then it should start. Thats my only guess and it is a bad one, so best of luck.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Good news bad news.
Good news, they didn't have plug wires for your truck, don't just drop any set in cause they won't last.
Bad news, don't know why you installed an aftermarket alarm system in a truck that has one of the best factory systems out there. You would be wise to get rid of the aftermarket system and stay with the factory one, believe me no one will steel it.
Have you tried resetting the factory alarm system, do you know how? Put the key in the drivers door, lock and unlock slowly the door 3 times in a row, then try and start the truck.
If that doesn't work you may need to get it to the dealer and see if they can sort out your problem.
When you do replace the plug wires use something like Magnacor 8mm. wires or better. They will out last and outperform new factory wires.
Mike

Old 07-05-2006, 01:50 AM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: xb70valkarye

This is only an absolute guess and I do not know whay it may have happened but it may be the fuel cutoff switch. I recently had an accident in my discovery and the flashers came on and the fuel supply was cut off. There should be a reset switch under the hood on the passenger side (exact position shown in the owners manual). Reset the switch and then turn the ignition switch on, but do not start the car for about a minute. This turns the flashers off and then crank. If that was the issue then it should start. Thats my only guess and it is a bad one, so best of luck.
You nailed it man. I can't believe all that troubleshooting and fixing it turned out to be a button push. Dooood. If you're ever in Baltimore I owe you a night of free drinks

Thanks to everybody that offered assistance. I appreciate all the help. Internet: 1 Dealership: 0

Old 07-05-2006, 06:56 AM
Drifting

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Good news bad news.
Good news, they didn't have plug wires for your truck, don't just drop any set in cause they won't last.
Bad news, don't know why you installed an aftermarket alarm system in a truck that has one of the best factory systems out there. You would be wise to get rid of the aftermarket system and stay with the factory one, believe me no one will steel it.
Have you tried resetting the factory alarm system, do you know how? Put the key in the drivers door, lock and unlock slowly the door 3 times in a row, then try and start the truck.
If that doesn't work you may need to get it to the dealer and see if they can sort out your problem.
When you do replace the plug wires use something like Magnacor 8mm. wires or better. They will out last and outperform new factory wires.
Mike
Aftermarket alarm was installed when I bought it. It has remote start so I'll keep it untill it causes a problem. Didn't know how to reset the factory alarm... that's definitly good info to know (thumbs up). I had been planning on upgrading the wires..just been putting it off. I'll order some tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyoneshelp.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Check on the web for Rover connection, they handle the Magnacor wires, and their prices are good. Of course, the fun part is putting them on. If you have a long arm with a small hand along with a six pack you will be OK, otherwise you will have to remove the top part of the intake manifold so you can get access to the coil packs.
Good luck,
Mike

Old 07-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will take you up on that. I am glad it worked!