Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck in Northern Canada and need help trouble shooting!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013 | 05:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Don't despair man.
just try to sort out 1 thing at a time.
I keep reading this thread every night when i get home to see how you are making out.
Wish i could help but it's a little out of my league.
Good luck.

Old 01-17-2013 | 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Would wonder if a vehicle stored outside in very cold - might have connector problems and the link between the ECU and the BCU, preventing the code that is sent between them. Perhaps if all else fails, try putting a heater inside the truck or using a hair dryer to warm up the modules (not melt them). After inspecting the connectors on each.

Old 01-17-2013 | 07:59 PM
Overlanding

Have a look around for other devices in the area that transmit on the same frequency as your alarm system. This can cause all sorts of weird problems, including not locking/unlocking, not starting, sometimes starting etc. There may be a device that has recently come into camp that's causing it. Over here it's fairly common

Old 01-18-2013 | 08:13 AM
|
Mudding

It's hard not to despair when a loved one is hurting. I am trying my best to keep my chin up. Thanks for the kind words toad2.

It is possible that the cold has pulled something loose. I will figure out where they are and check the connectors. I might be able to find a heater for the interior.

A co worker was just telling me about his Harley and radio frequencies messing with his alarm system. "push it down the road or enter the code" was his answer for his problem. And then I read the link that was provided to the security system and I started thinking all sorts of conspiracy theories. It is quite likely that someone is bending the frequency rules out here. There is a P1668 code and what seems to me a bigger than should be drain on my battery. I will look around.

I do have a new battery sitting here (thanks for the links, I'll make sure I do a hot swap to save some trouble) and a CPK is on it's way North. I'll check out all these fuses to see why the door locks suddenly stopped working.

Thanks for everything guys!

Old 01-18-2013 | 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

The ECU and BCM are very close to each other under the dash.

Attached Thumbnails Stuck in Northern Canada and need help trouble shooting!-d2-modules.jpg  
Old 01-18-2013 | 04:09 PM
|
Mudding

What do you suppose that white (with pink stripe ***EDIT***) wire is for? The broken one…. It should be going into the back wire connector.

Last edited by vonrock; 01-18-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2013 | 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Does it have any other stripe on it? And that other one with tape on it. There is a white/black wire that goes off to the motion detectors if equipped (alarm gear).

Old 01-18-2013 | 04:30 PM
Rock Crawling

The plot thickens...
Good luck...wish I was there to hear the truck fire back to life! Sooner of later.

Old 01-18-2013 | 04:51 PM
|
Mudding

The broken wire is white with no other stripe.

I am equipped with the motion detectors. I found that out last summer. My alarm kept going off late at night. I couldn't figure it out. I rolled down and up all the windows. Opened and closed the doors. Same with the sun roofs. Eventually I even started it and drove it up and down the drive way. On about the fifth time the alarm went off (after midnight at this point and sure to be annoying my neighbours) a moth flew up towards the dome light. That's when I saw the motion detector and put two and two together.
So I killed that darn moth and went back to bed. Just kidding! The moth was set free and I'm sure lived happily for the rest of his moth life. And I learned that my car had a motion detector. How cool is that?

Old 01-18-2013 | 04:56 PM
|
Mudding

If that unit on the left is the BCU, then I think that white and pink wire is the ECU self levelling stuff, which I don't have. (Judging from this link)
http://macassemble.com/lrm/discovery...%20Ciruits.pdf

My door lock problem was me. I pulled the top fuse out (door locks) so I could pull the next fuse and so on to check them all. Forgot to put that top one back in. Oops.

Last edited by vonrock; 01-18-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Stuck in Northern Canada and need help trouble shooting!