Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck oil drain plug: How much force to use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah it's a tight fit for that hose through there, you need to get creative with it.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snafu, I'm learning every time I get on this forum. Thanks to you I now know what a Mityvac is, and that used motor oil can be analyzed...

Anyway, have you had that done before? If so, who do you use? I'm a new owner as well and would like to have it done as well.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by New2LR
Snafu, I'm learning every time I get on this forum. Thanks to you I now know what a Mityvac is, and that used motor oil can be analyzed...

Anyway, have you had that done before? If so, who do you use? I'm a new owner as well and would like to have it done as well.
Yep, I have done it many times over the past few years. I use Blackstone Labs. The basic test costs $25 and they send you the free collection stuff. You get a very nice analysis of your oil. It shows you how your oil has degraded, what are the percentages of metals/solids in there (from wear), coolant, fuel, etc. It is nice to know exactly what is going on inside and spot issues early. Also, they will tell you if you should be changing more frequently or less, and could actually save you some money that way.
It is important to properly note the date and mileage you change the oil, as well as the brand/viscosity you used. Also, if you add any quarts in between, also note how much/when!
I'm sure there are places that do it for less than $25, but I have used these people. A person actually puts in the comments... which can be helpful for the findings!
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Old 01-31-2011, 11:34 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was one of the companies I found when I did my google'ing. This is really great advice, thank you!

I better get my first oil change done this weekend, the sooner I can get the analysis done, the better.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:10 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you spend the extra money and get a TBN analysis done. This tells you how much life you have left in the oil and will tell you how long you can push your oil drain intervals. As far as UOAs go in general they are useful for spotting coolant leaks, fuel dilution and for seeing how long you can extend a oil change but with the wear metals you really need to look at trends over many oil changes. Order some kits from Blackstone and when you sample make sure it is after a long drive where you have burned off all fuel and water from the oil. A general comment on blackstone, they are OK for the price but have been known to give weird results, if something looks off have them run the sample again.