Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the subject of slipped liners....... what did you find in your '03 - '04 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Default On the subject of slipped liners....... what did you find in your '03 - '04 4.6?

Okay, I know that there are PLENTY of threads on this very topic and I don't want to bore anyone out of their friggin brain with any stories of what I've heard or read.
The reason I wanted to start this as a thread is to try to get actual information about people's experiences with the '03 '04 engines and what they have found in their engines when removing the heads.
So, if you have taken the heads off your engine on an '03 or '04 Rover, what did you find? Were the liners slipped (which ones?) was the block cracked? (where?) etc.
I'm hoping to get at least some kind of average at the very least. Thanks to anyone who helps out and responds to this thread. Also, when I get my heads off (some time soon here...) I'll post what I find in there.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Had a couple of spare hours today and got the drivers side head off. No slipped liners, it appears that the antifreeze traveled along the top of one fire ring on the head gasket and then found its way in under the next one down. I think the head may have been a little warped. Looks like the last time the head gaskets were done they just cleaned the heads and block faces up with a wire brush and put it back together. I think I'll send them out for planing this time!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Why are you worrying about your liners, what is your engine doing and what have you checked so far?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

My engine oever-heated into the red then had coolant in the #5 cylinder.
I'm not worried about my liners, I'm just saying that I haven't heard of too many ACTUAL cases of this happening in the '03 and '04 Rovers but it seems to always be part of the suggestions about what makes these engines tick. I know it CAN happen but, I think telling people that that's what it (probably) is, is just bad advise and causes people to worry about their truck when it's probably just piston slap or something like that.
That's why I wanted people to post REAL findings in their '03 and '04 4.6 engine. Hoping that it may clear up some of the speculation on the tick being caused by a slipping liner... That's all, but thanks for your concern DiscoMike. It's much appreciated!