Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer Wiring

My factory subs are blown, and I bought replacement drivers. I was puting them in and was surprised to see that the factory pieces are dual voice coil. My replacements are 4 ohm single voice coil. I'm assuming the factory pieces were 8 ohm DVC, with each pair of drivers wired in parallel, and the amp is not bridgable.If this is correct, I would need to wire one speaker to the red wires, one to the white, and I'll have two spare sets of wires, one in each color. Is this right, or should I do this differently?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Subwoofer Wiring

UPDATE

I got the new drivers in, and they sound incredible. I spent $30 on eBay (I intentionally bought inexpensive drivers with low power handling for reasons I won't go into here), and I got some drivers that were drop in replacements- fit perfectly into the OEM location.I was right about my hunch on the wiring. The OEM pieces were 8 ohm DVC, and I bought 4 ohm SVC as replacements. When installing the new drivers, I used one set of red leads on one driver and one set of black on the other. When I first turned it on, it hardly worked. The speakers were definitely funtioning (and moving to the point of distortion), but I was getting hardly any sound. then I remembered that DVC drivers typically have one voice coil wired in reverse polarity. Since I was using one set of leads from each voice coil,the sound coming from the two speakers were simply cancelling each other out. I simply reversed thepolarity on one driver by hooking the negative wire to the positive lead, and vice versa. Worked perfectly, sounds awesome.

So to anyone with blown OEM subs, you can replace them in half an hour for $30 and they sound GREAT. Just make sure you get the right size speaker (overall diameter, mounting depth, and mounting screw spacing), and shoot for something with low power handling. If anyone is interested to know which ones I got on eBay, let me know and I can send you the link. Cheers!