Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden die or won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 06:53 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have new question. This engine fuse box. Are there suppose to be ones missing? I’m so confused I looked up fuse boxes for sale and some have ones I don’t have and some don’t have ones that I do have? What in the world? Are they all supposed to have one in its place or no?

Old 03-24-2018, 03:20 PM
Mudding

So my whole cable that goes to the xyz needs replaced it’s rusty etc. I’ve been searching but wow so many are super pricey cause it includes like the whole entire piece. Anyone know if you can just buy cable and what the actual name for it is? I even found some that includes even the whole inside gear shifter

Old 03-24-2018, 11:28 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Were you able to correct something from your original post. Did the truck stalled again? Do you still have the clicking problem when you start? The bolt that tightens the XYZ has a slot on both ends for adjustment. If not correctly adjusted your car wont start or the numbers on the shifter will not be correct or you might loose reverse or drive. The beige color probably wont work on 03 and 04 where the black one worked for me. I am just guessing that if the prior problem is not happening at the moment then it could have been some fuel issue. Also the starter gear got misaligned until you moved the truck and got it started. Cheers

Old 03-25-2018, 10:43 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Were you able to correct something from your original post. Did the truck stalled again? Do you still have the clicking problem when you start? The bolt that tightens the XYZ has a slot on both ends for adjustment. If not correctly adjusted your car wont start or the numbers on the shifter will not be correct or you might loose reverse or drive. The beige color probably wont work on 03 and 04 where the black one worked for me. I am just guessing that if the prior problem is not happening at the moment then it could have been some fuel issue. Also the starter gear got misaligned until you moved the truck and got it started. Cheers

so you think my issue is bc I used the tan one? And yes it’s still all screwed up 😣 they said I could use the tan one it fit right on but it’s super tight too tight I can’t adjust the 13mm bolt bc mine is seized/rusted on. Trying to Pb blast it today while replacing my rusted on o2 sensors and got a new MAF. But yeah something def not right w the xyz but also the cable going to mine is rusted and curved. I’m trying to figure out name of the cable that goes to the xyz but the guy that sold me the tan one said he’s seen both colors on the 03?

Melissa
03 discovery hse7

Old 03-25-2018, 10:50 AM
Mudding

And to answer your questions yes like it seemed to run better etc then back to same kind of problems. It just started to not start after a week maybe and the click click then unaware I pushed it to the end of a parking lot to better reach/work on it and then it started right up so then when it would happen again I would put it in N roll it backward and it would start and yes I can tell the gears aren’t fully lighting on the shifter can barely get it to light N unless I hold it perfectly position.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:16 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

You can adjust the switch without messing with the cable adjustment. Loosen the two 10mm headed bolts that hold the XYZ switch to the trans...and rotate the switch (while someone sits inside and reads the dash information off to you and gets it aligned with hand shifter position). The holes are slotted on the switch, so adjustments can be made.

If you still need a new cable, there are used parts guys here to help out. Paul or Abran can hook you up.

Brian.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:25 PM
Mudding

That’s what I’m gonna try doing now. Back at O’Reilly for some Lucas oil and already got the Pb blaster it’s sitting on the 13mm bolt and front o2 sensor (yes my freaking o2 sensor is rusted on) and I cannot find a tool to get them off, I have the one in the video but mine just spreads out when going over the o2 i guess where it’s just so bad rusted. Gonna try and adjust it by the actual 10mm bolts you are saying and not even mess w the cable bc my cable is freaking rusted etc. I would swear that previous owners had this thing in water how else do o2 sensors and bolts get so rusted that the are seized on??? Ugh I want to roll it down a hill but that’s not an option at this point

Old 03-25-2018, 02:29 PM
Mudding

Idk who Paul or abram is but I might need to figure it out. O’Reilly says they sell 13mm bolts but have to know exact one to match it up etc so that means get it off then bring it back in. Stuff completed today so far~ back o2 changed, new MAF in, 2 new fuses from engine fuse box thats it. Again the engine fuse box confuses me I try and look them up and the ones ppl have for sale well some they have I don’t and some they don’t have I do I’ve attached a pic, other than 30a and 40 reg one, anyhow see any I would need? Also there is green corrison on some? Should they be changed due to that?

Old 03-25-2018, 11:32 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

You can get a used fusebox with complete fuses on ebay which are cheaper. Often the green corrosion you see on the post goes even deeper than that. The fusebox itself is separated in the bottom half and can be replaced completely with a new set of working circuits. About the xyz, on 2003 the beige is really tight and you might end up rounding the gear and misalign it completely and its not a perfect fit but you can chance it. About your starter, i am guessing that it need to be aligned.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:07 AM
Mudding

Yep you are right idk what to do at this point. I had someone helping foot on brake and idk I guess I just can’t get it, I tried but I think I screwed it up worse as it wouldn’t come outta gear at first then trying about 5x after that finally got P to light on the dash, N is still shifty but in starting to think it’s the tan one and you know when I replaced it I pulled a tan one off so it had a tan one on it, just heard how much better it was used micro something or other as opposed to the black but at this point I highly doubt I should drive it, will try again tomorrow in day time as it started to get dark and I have up, good news got those bolts loose of course, I think if I had a whole new cable it would likely help bc mine isn’t like the videos I found it isn’t just simple to adjust. I just gotta figure out what the Exact word for that cable is called so far I only find like whole new gear shifter assembly that’s like $200+ and so guessing I should just replace the entire fuse box? Does it look bad in those pics? I tried to take up close so you could see the green corrison on them. Man this xyz deal isn’t a joke when ppl said it will drive you mad they weren’t kidding. I’m thinking of calling the Land Rover repair job (guy only works on rovers and jags) to ask him what he’d charge to fix the stupid thing or maybe I should just buy another one~ a black one. I msg the guy on eBay to see if he might have just cable to sell that I bought the xyz from and it showed 90 day return deal so maybe return it idk it was $85 and maybe it’s not right cause the N deal I don’t feel like is something I can fix as it seems to be in the switch itself

Quick Reply: Sudden die or won’t start