Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on After-Market front bumper for DII

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 09:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Suggestions on After-Market front bumper for DII

Looking for suggestions on after-market front bumpers. I scheduled a tow for the Disco this morning to get some front end work done and received a call about an hour later stating that there was a crack-up with the Rover and my front bumper is shot. Apparently a chain or strap snapped on the tow truck, hitting the bumper and caused a lot of damage. The towing place is offering to replace it and stated that if I wanted an aftermarket bumper now would be the time to do it.

I like the stock appearance of the Rover but am open to suggestions. They are stating a budget of $700 to fix it.

Thanks,

Christina

Old 02-15-2021, 09:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 763 Likes on 499 Posts

https://www.roverparts.com/body-chassis/bumpers/DA5682/

maybe something like this? $700 is a little low for most aftermarket options unless you can find a used deal.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 09:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Hey thanks! I was looking on Atlantic British and Rovers North today and asked myself 'should I do steel'? All I could think of was rust occurring in the long run.

He said that the replacement is going to be around $700 for stock so I'm assuming I could add to it if I wanted an aftermarket that is priced higher. I don't do much off-roading so there is no need for a winch, etc. This isn't something I was planning on investigating/researching today but am thankful that you and the forum exist

Christina

Old 02-15-2021, 10:14 AM
Winching
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

I think you should pay the repair shops $700.

I have a steel bumper and love it but I also have a lift with off road tires and like the look of a modified D2.

If you really like the stock look then continue with it.

Here are a couple of issues to know:

1. Putting a steel bumper removes the stock tow hook that is under the bumper. You will then need to buy a special tow hook to install on the steel bumper. This adds another $75

2. The windshield washer tank is in view with the steel bumper. This greatly gives the Discovery a non-stock look.

3. The AC condenser is now more exposed from underneath to rocks coming up and damaging it from a highway. To avoid this you will need to pay for a skid plate for another $150 dollars.

So basically the steel bumper is less expensive for it alone but you really need to add the accessories to it. These extras make the cost difference not as much. If you really like the stock look I don't think you will be happy with the steel bumper.

Although, it is nice know you won't crack another plastic bumper.

The following 3 users liked this post by keninnc:
ahab (02-16-2021), DiscoID (02-15-2021), KernowDiscovery (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 10:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks kenninc for the thorough and helpful write-up! I was curious about everything that you listed. There are a lot of nice looking steel bumpers out there (I am partial to the Lucky 8 HD Steel bumper https://lucky8llc.com/collections/di...steel-bumper-1) but really don't see myself using the Rover for off-road purposes, and as you stated, there are additional costs attached to the installation of one. I definitely appreciate the look of the modified DII and can see why you guys do it. If I had the mechanical know-how and knew that I'd use the winch, etc., I'd be doing the same. I'll probably mull it over today and call the towing place tomorrow and let them know that I'd like to continue with stock.

Many thanks again

Christina

Old 02-15-2021, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Tow hook = depends on the bumper, and technically you can re-install the OEM tow hook onto any aftermarket bumper as it just mounts around the bumper mounts. Access to it just depends on the aftermarket bumper. Not all aftermarket leave the washer bottle exposed, ARB, TJM, Lucky8, and the TF bumper all cover the washer bottle. For a low profile clean look the TF unit looks very nice IMHO. It has a little cover for the washer bottle, and you can get a non winch version. You can add the C-Clip type recovery points, but I'm sure the OEM one would still work. You can get a nice front skid for it as well which kinda ends up looking like the Safarigard style which is clean with the bumper vs sitting way down below.

I'll NEVER go back to the OEM flimsy bumper. A shopping cart, deer, or a vehicle is going to destroy the OEM unit not to mention damage or total out your LR. A metal bumper might get scratched up, but it will not just fall to pieces like an egg shell.

The following 5 users liked this post by Best4x4:
ahab (02-16-2021), B Strife (03-18-2021), DiscoID (02-15-2021), Discorama (02-15-2021), KernowDiscovery (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 03:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I hear ya Best. Thanks for your input as it definitely helps me make a decision. I'm not too excited over getting a new bumper just to have it hit in the grocery store parking lot, deer, etc. And a very good point about totaling it as well.

I think it all comes down to "how much of a PITA is it going to be to have a body shop replace the OEM for an after-market" (when I don't know much about the process), and "will Bertha be exposing her lady bits for all to see because the bumper will be too high".

This is what she looked like before the tow strap slapped her:

I'm assuming everything aftermarket will show something unless I get a plate installed underneath, correct?
Here's a TJM I found:

This one was on the Lucky-8 website but states 'Terra Firma' on the front? Not too sure which one it is:

I do like the bull bar look in both photos above, but again am concerned about what will show underneath and how hard it is for a shop to put it on.

Is this the low profile you're thinking with Terra firma below?:

Anyhoo... still pondering on what to do. Thanks for all of the input. I can see the pros and cons to each.

Christina

Old 02-15-2021, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,667 Posts

All 3 of those are nice and yes that is the low profile TF I was talking about and you should be able to get a Non Winch version. I've got a D2 TJM on my 95 D1 and I absolutely love it very sturdy and very nice looking. I've heard good things about the Lucky8 bumper as well. Installation wise = 4 to 10 bolts for the main mount/crush cans, and any smaller screws like with the TF for the washer bottle skid plate. Removal of the old one is the hardest part vs installing the new one A shop shouldn't charge more than an 2hr or they have no clue what they're doing.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 763 Likes on 499 Posts

The washer fluid res shouldn't be visible with any of those bumpers nor will the steering components be super in your face especially at stock ride height. I think a slimline with no winch cut out or bullbar would be your best bet as it would still somewhat resemble the stock look. Just my .02. For reference I have no skid plate, I did make a new washer res but only because mine basically disintegrated into nothing...

Attached Thumbnails Suggestions on After-Market front bumper for DII-029a6846.jpg  
Old 02-15-2021, 05:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Just went through this with my wife's 03. She slid in a ditch the other day, so l tried to go the easy route...steel bumper/without brushguard (picture #3). However, she liked the factory look, which, truth be told...so do l for a daily driver...and for going out to dinner somewhere fancy. Which, anymore, seeing that every spare dime we have goes towards these rovers...is Mc Donalds...lol.

​Now, with that being said. The 99/02 has a planner looking bumper, sorry...but it does, since it doesn't have body color on corners. So, adding a steel bumper that has nice design and covers washer reservior, like ones pictured, would not affect styling too much, in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on After-Market front bumper for DII