Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof drains

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Sunroof drains

Can the drains be seen from the roof with the sunroof open? Rear is leaking and wanted to inspect for cracks. Hoping the heqdlihea doesn't have to come off to inspect

Old 09-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 781 Posts

Not really you can kind of see them but that is it

Old 09-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

No, not from the top. At least not well enough to assess the problem. You could probably remove the trim around the hole on the inside and pull it down enough to see the drains. Wedge a socket or something in there to hold it down and soak the roof with the hose to check for leaks.

Likely the sealant between the plastic drain corners and metal tray has failed. The liner has to come out for any kind of repair though.

Old 09-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Headliner has to come off. I'm actually doing this repair now if you need any pictures

Old 09-09-2018, 03:31 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Matheson
Can the drains be seen from the roof with the sunroof open? Rear is leaking and wanted to inspect for cracks. Hoping the heqdlihea doesn't have to come off to inspect
Unlikely to view but an illuminated borescope may sot any issues. Do a water test and check the drains underneath and the cups in the frame with the borescope. You may need to remove the headliner if the rear sunroof is leaking as it might be the upper peripheral mastic and rubber seal. Do both the front and rear seals also along with reinforcing the plastic drain wells.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 09-09-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:51 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by tcr6v1
Headliner has to come off. I'm actually doing this repair now if you need any pictures
Probably would help. I cleared the drains and thought I was good but it rained tonight and water is dripping out of the rear ac vents

Old 09-10-2018, 03:42 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

The seals where the sunroof meets the roof like to disintegrate. Take the headliner out like you normal would (it's not that hard at all, just make sure you have a plastic panel clip tool so you dont damage panels.) Now the points of leakage are usually either the drain tubes breaking off or the seals.

There is no point in taking the headliner off and only fixing addressing one of the issues. I highly recommend you do the following:

make sure you buy a nice high quality silicone. Buy a tube and use it in a caulking gun for better control.

1) remove both sunroof trays (held on by a bunch of T20 torx screws
1a)make sure tubes arent clogged by blowing into them
2)remove all silcone from where the metal tray meets the plastic piece where the tube attaches
3)if the nipple is broken off you can epoxy it back on with JB weld or similar
4) re silcone where the tray meets the plastic part. Make sure to do this well and do both sides.
5) remove both sunroofs. This is easy as they are only held on by the trays. With the tray removed push up on the sunroof and what's ever left of the factory seal should give out.
6) remove all leftover of seal material from both the sunroof and the roof
7)run a nice bead of silicon around the lip of the sunroof assembly. Not too much but not too little
8) reinstall sunroof assembly being careful not to make a mess
9)reinstall sunroof tray
10)reinstall everything related to headliner

REMEMBER... Most silicones take 24hrs to cure. Make sure you do this when the forecast doesnt call for rain.

The following users liked this post:
akapeller (12-30-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 07:25 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by tcr6v1
The seals where the sunroof meets the roof like to disintegrate. Take the headliner out like you normal would (it's not that hard at all, just make sure you have a plastic panel clip tool so you dont damage panels.) Now the points of leakage are usually either the drain tubes breaking off or the seals.

There is no point in taking the headliner off and only fixing addressing one of the issues. I highly recommend you do the following:

make sure you buy a nice high quality silicone. Buy a tube and use it in a caulking gun for better control.

1) remove both sunroof trays (held on by a bunch of T20 torx screws
1a)make sure tubes arent clogged by blowing into them
2)remove all silcone from where the metal tray meets the plastic piece where the tube attaches
3)if the nipple is broken off you can epoxy it back on with JB weld or similar
4) re silcone where the tray meets the plastic part. Make sure to do this well and do both sides.
5) remove both sunroofs. This is easy as they are only held on by the trays. With the tray removed push up on the sunroof and what's ever left of the factory seal should give out.
6) remove all leftover of seal material from both the sunroof and the roof
7)run a nice bead of silicon around the lip of the sunroof assembly. Not too much but not too little
8) reinstall sunroof assembly being careful not to make a mess
9)reinstall sunroof tray
10)reinstall everything related to headliner

REMEMBER... Most silicones take 24hrs to cure. Make sure you do this when the forecast doesnt call for rain.
Thanks good clear instructions and I guess I need to just do it right the first time

Old 09-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...al-tips-82723/

I posted a few pics of how I did mine. I don't go into detail on how to completely remove the sunroof, but I just wanted to show you can do this job WITHOUT disturbing the plastic drains. Usually the drains are the culprit, but not always, as was my case with my rear sunroof.