Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Problem

My front sunroof does not work but the rear one does work with both switches. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Also, I have seen that a lot of people have problems with the sunroof drains clogging and they have to take out the headliner to clean them out. I currently have my headliner out to replace it so I was thinking about cleaning out the drains. Is there any thing else I should do while I have the headliner out because I don't want to take it out again.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Does anyone know how to clean out the drains or if it is worth it?

Old 09-27-2013, 12:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Wipe out dirt and grime, regrease the rails... that's all I've ever done

Old 09-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jalodge
My front sunroof does not work but the rear one does work with both switches. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Also, I have seen that a lot of people have problems with the sunroof drains clogging and they have to take out the headliner to clean them out. I currently have my headliner out to replace it so I was thinking about cleaning out the drains. Is there any thing else I should do while I have the headliner out because I don't want to take it out again.
Front sunroof not working: try swapping the switches around to see if it is a switch problem, if that does not work try swapping the motors (put both sunroofs in the same position first like closed - this way they are "clocked" the same.) If this does not work, download the RAVE and look in the service manual.

Drains: the best way to clean them is to blow compressed air down them from the sunroof channel area. With the headliner out you should be able to spot them, and this will help insure you don't blow the tubes off the sunroof tray. Otherwise, the next best way to clean them out is to remove them from the bottom of the tray since you have the headliner out - I do not recommend this.......Why? well, the corners of the sunroof tray are plastic and pressed into the aluminum tray. These will loosen when you wiggle the hoses off, then you have a bad time sealing the plastic corners back onto the aluminum tray. My experience was the sunroofs were leaking horribly. The plastic bezel on the roof side had distorted and pulled away from the roof causing water to leak in faster than the worthless drains could handle (look at the lines while the headliner is out, the tubes are pointed in crazy directions to drain properly.) You can not get parts for these sunroofs, they were avail only as a unit from Landrover up till about two years ago....according to my local LR dealership the sunroof units are on permanent backorder!!!!! If you have this problem, I suggest finding a great windshield / sunroof shop and get some of the industrial silicone they use to install aftermarket sunroofs. Here in the Pacific NW I could send you to a good place.

My advise: if the sunroofs are sealed and not leaking, don't mess with them!! IF you can find the drains from inside the tray great - blow them out, clean the guides and put a little grease on them.

Good luck! Keep us posted on how the headliner works out and what you did, mine is in repair due to some water damage.

-David

Old 09-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by NW_rockhound
Good luck! Keep us posted on how the headliner works out and what you did, mine is in repair due to some water damage.
Thanks for the tips. It is not currently leaking so I am not going to mess with it. For the headliner, I removed it using a great write-up I found on here and took it to a local shop to have them glue the fabric to the board. I should be getting it back Monday so I can put it back it.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:23 AM
6th Gear
Default Did you ever solve sunroof problem?

I have the same issue. My front does not open but back does. It is not the switch, as I swapped them out and both switches will open back. When I engage the switch for front the motor makes a sound like the back does. But nothing happens.

Side Note: I also found a wire that isn't plugged into anything up in the sunroof motor area. It is a yellow pink/yellow blue/pink blue with adapter. It is not plugged into anything nor is there anyplace to plug it in. Any idea what this is?

Thanks so much.

New Land Rover owner trying to fix tedious little things.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

could be motor or bent binding rails. you could see if it moves with the manual key, but at risk of having it stuck open instead of closed

Old 10-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Rock Crawling

What is the manual key?

Old 10-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

little pop out tab up by switch. pop it out and that little hex head is it.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Rock Crawling

I got out the 12V tester and the switch from the rear sunroof. I unplugged both motors and tested each of the wires when I pressed the switch. The one next to and bellow the black wire (I am assuming it is the ground) both would light up when I pressed the switch either way. I got the same results when I tested the rear sunroof so I am guessing that means it is the front sunroof motor that is bad?