Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Issues & Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Issues & Repair

Is this something I could do myself - troubleshoot tracks and motors - or should I leave this to the dealer or a shop nearby. Speaking of, if anyone knows any shops in Tulsa, OK that could fix Land Rover Disco II sunroofs for a reasonable price, please let me know.

Otherwise, something I should try to do or leave it to shop/dealer and just ensure that I supply the parts in order not to take a hit on the exhorbitant parts cost?

Problem: REAR SUNROOF: doesn't move - one click when engaging button (possible motor failure - rare) or it's a timing issue (adjustable) with the rear sunroof motor. It could also (most likely) be the guide assemblies as well. FRONT SUNROOF: acting squirrely and I'm worried that it won't close if I open it - has become temporarily stuck in an open position. Should I try to tackle these issues or get it to the pros?

PS. This all started a number of years ago after a hail damage and liner repair. Maybe the body repair shop screwed the reinstallation up?

Old 03-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on your level of competency. Did you get two sets of tracks?

If so, changing them is easy, although removing and reinstalling the headliner is a pain. Replacing them should solve your problems, at least for a couple of years.

If you need to troubleshoot the problems with the existing tracks, you might be able to use one set of new ones to fix one using parts from both broken ones.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get motors and whole assemblies pretty cheap

$50 for full assembly
1999 2004 Land Rover Discovery II 2 Front Sunroof Entire Assembly No Reserve | eBay

The headliner is the trickiest part, other than that pretty straight forward un-bolt re-install. Search around for headliner removal threads....that will be more than half the battle. Cant imagine what a "pro" would charge for this kind of job, the headliner removal and install will be at least 2-3 hours of labor plus another 2-3 for fix.

I would say at best it would cost you $300-400 bucks to have someone look at it and wouldnt be surprised if they quoted $600+

Do your sunroofs leak at all? If they dont, I bet most people would recommend a nice bead of silicone and enjoy your skylights*

Old 03-08-2013, 05:43 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by nychaze
do your sunroofs leak at all? If they dont, i bet most people would recommend a nice bead of silicone and enjoy your skylights*

hahaha :d

Old 03-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nychaze
Do your sunroofs leak at all? If they don't, I bet most people would recommend a nice bead of silicone and enjoy your skylights*

Just did this yesterday. I never open them anyway.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 AM
4wd Low

Well, I lucked out I guess. Purchased x2 EGM100192 Guide Assemblies and a couple of salvage sunroof motors. Turns out it was a rear motor failure! Assemblies/guides were fine. Just swapped the rear motor and all works as it should. Never had any leaks or anything.

Now I have to figure out if I'm going to keep these "unobtanium" (LOL) new OEM EGM100192 Guide Rail Assemblies, the most common failure point on these sunroofs. What will happen is the moment I sell them they will fail on the vehicle - isnt that how it usually works? I mean Rovers North can't even get them and when/ IF they become available they are looing for $600! The rep at Rovers North also told me they might be phased out and not produced in the future... if I hang onto them it feels like I'm some sort of hoarder holding parts "just in case" something fails...

Old 02-05-2019, 09:00 PM
1st Gear

I'm at my wit's end. I've got a 2000 discover II, rear sunroof got shattered, I found a used OEM replacement, but can't find anybody willing to install it. The old one was held on by four posts and was fully functional, has anybody some guidance for me? Oh the dealer would gladly sell and install one for 1100usd. Sigh....

Old 02-06-2019, 05:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,003 Posts

They are not that hard to do, I can pull the whole headliner in about 20 mins (have done 4 though, so will probably take you an hour). After that it is just a few bolts holding the pan in and then the sunroof just drops out. Good opportunity to reseal the pan drains and all the gaps in the pan.