Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superlocking not enabled

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Superlocking not enabled

The superlocking feature appears to be disabled on my vehicle, as well as speed-related locking, but I'm ok with that. Is there a way for me to enable it, or can features like that only be changed via Testbook at the dealership?
It's been like this as long as I've owned it. One press of the lock button of the fob gives one park lamp flash, not three when it is superlocked, and pressing the button multiple times does nothing more than pressing it once.

I won't be surprised either way, but I am pleased that "Transit mode" can be disabled by pressing certain dash buttons in sequence. I learned a while back that I could remove the key from the ignition while it was still in drive. Not a big problem, until I parked at a gas station front door, went in, and came out to find my car had rolled back about 15 feet because I left it in drive when I parked.

I searched Rave thinking it was a shift interlock problem, and found out about transit mode which disables the ignition key interlock, among other things. I followed the button press and key turn sequences to disable it. Ignition key can only be removed in park now.

Apologies for the ramblings of transit mode. Something similar for superlocking?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How do you know your super lock is not working, how have you been trying to engage it?
What is it that you are referring to when you mention the transit button and would you want to remove the key anyway?

Old 06-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Superlock-
Per owner's manual and Rave: pressing the lock button on the key two times within one second activates superlock mode (when enabled), indicated by the parking lights flashing 3 times. This is how I have tried to activate it. I know it isn't working, both because the parking lights flash only once (same as when I press the lock button only one time), and I can leave a window down, press the lock button on the key twice within one second, reach through the open window, and open the door from the inside. This of course sounds the alarm. This leads me to believe that superlock is not enabled on the BCM.

Transit mode-
When I got this vehicle a few years ago, I realised that when I came to a stop and shut down the engine, with the transmission still in drive, I could remove the key from the ignition cylinder. I discovered this by accident as I had forgotten to put the vehicle in park when I came to a stop one day and left it in drive, shut the engine off, removed the key, got out of the vehicle and realised it began to roll as soon as I took my foot from the brake. I figured it was a problem with an interlock because you should only be able to remove the key from the ignition when the transmission is in park. I searched "interlock" on Rave and found "Transit Mode".

Transit mode: To prevent excessive battery drain during transit to overseas markets, the vehicle is placed in a transit mode. The following functions are disabled when the vehicle is in transit mode:
Volumetric sensors
Passive immobilisation
Immobilisation of the vehicle by use of door lock
Ignition key interlock
Electric seat enable time-out with driver's door open

My vehicle doesn't have volumetric sensors, just a blanking panel where they would go. My vehicle had neven been attempted to be stolen while I owned it, so I didn't know if immobilisation worked or not. I had never tried to move the seat with the vehicle shut off and the driver's door open. But, I knew my ignition interlock wasn't working, so I figured what the heck, maybe Transit mode is enabled (?)

Per Rave:
to exit the transit mode, simultaneously hold the heated rear window switch and the rear fog lamp switch, turn the ignition switch from 0 to II and, after a minimum of 2 seconds, release the switches.

I performed these actions and immediately afterward, with engine off, moved my shifter to drive, and tried to turn key to position 0 to remove. It would ony turn to position I. I moved the shifter back into park, and I could turn the key to position 0 and remove it.

My vehicle had been in transit mode ever since I owned it, and I had exited transit mode. How long had it been in transit mode? I have no idea. The only way to put it in that mode is with Testbook at the dealer. At some point in the past did a dealer enable it? Was it never disabled when it came to the US? Your guess is as good as mine.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Superlocking is a programable item in the BCU as you know, its a dealer only or another compatible diagnostic tool to enable it.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Pro Wrench

OK. So no special kind of special hidden key or button sequence can enable it, just reprogramming via scan tool.
Question for the techies: Other than Testbook at the dealer, are there any compatible scanners that can do BCM programming? We have sever diffrent scan tools at the shop I work, but I have not seen anything related to programming in what I have fiddled with.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, possible dumb question time again; what is superlocking and what is the purpose of it and how do I activate it (if I even have it in my 2000 d2)?

Old 06-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Pro Wrench

Superlocking disables being able to open the doors both from the outside, and the inside. If a thief breaks a side window to reach inside and open the door, he/she will not be able to.

To activate (if enabled) press the lock button on your key twice within one second. The marker lights will flash three times when superlocking is activated (as opposed to one flash when normal locking enabled)

There is also a feather programmable on the BCM to enable superlocking with one press of the lock button on the key.

Warning: Do not superlock vehicle if a person is to remain inside the car, because he/she will not be able to leave vehicle in case of emergency, unless they break a window and crawl out.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
OK. So no special kind of special hidden key or button sequence can enable it, just reprogramming via scan tool.
Question for the techies: Other than Testbook at the dealer, are there any compatible scanners that can do BCM programming? We have sever diffrent scan tools at the shop I work, but I have not seen anything related to programming in what I have fiddled with.
Tools that will do it.

Testbook / T4
Rovacom
Faultmate
Autologic
DEC superscan
Nanocom
Bearmach Hawkeye.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:36 AM
Pro Wrench

Thank you UP. Unfortunately, I know we don't have any of those presently. I might have to work on the boss to invest in one of them, not for me of course, but so we have the ability to better serve our customers!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle

To be 100% honest, your best bet would be the Bearmach Hawkeye, a relativley new tool, but will do most of the land rover range..........One vehicle licence is given free with the purchase, so just tell your boss to buy it for Disco 2's to start with, its not that expensive for a tool of its capability.