Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SVS fix did not work

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:55 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SVS fix did not work

This is seriously frustrating. I performed the SVS rewire and checked with my multi meter--all checked out. After connecting to the wiring harness and grounding at the A/C line, I checked the system and still have the 3 Amigos. I went back to check the connections, and all appears to be good. My ABS Amigo only shows 1 code--114 SVS electrical failure. Is there something else that I can check?

I bought this truck over a month ago and have worked out a few issues. This is the last repair and I can't seem to get it done. I appreciate any help.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Boudini,

I hope this message reaches you well, since it's been a few years.

I have performed the Option B procedure twice so far, and I still can't ascertain what's going on with my brakes: I've changed the SVS, routed the wires according to Option B, grounded wire on AC line mounting place, drained and bled the brakes, replaced front left drivers axle hub, replaced ABS wheel speed sensors on front two wheels...

I honestly don't see how I can diagnose much more without taking it to a shop which I REALLY don't want to do. (already had to get them to rebuild my T-case.)

Any and all help would be extremely appreciated.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 822 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by back9sunday
... I honestly don't see how I can diagnose much more without taking it to a shop which I REALLY don't want to do.
What braking system symptoms are you seeing? If it's just the Three Amigos, there are nine separate ABS system faults that can trigger the Three Amigos, and unless you get the ABS codes read you can't know what to repair or address.

It's true that the SVS fault that Option B remedies is very common (perhaps the most common), but wheel speed sensor faults caused by faulty electrical connectors run a close second it seems.

Perhaps there is someone on this forum in or near Augusta with an ABS-capable diagnostic tool that can read the codes for you. If not, good code readers are now commonly available for a little over $100. You can get a shop to read the codes for about the same cost, but getting your own diagnostic tool is well worth the money if you plan to keep your truck for very long at all.

I can help you out if you and your truck ever get to Charlotte. Or ArmyRover is in or near Savannah. Or Brandon318 rents his Nanocom. See the Nanocom rental thread in the stickies.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:04 AM
Mudding

Thanks for gettin back to me!

I have a few diagnostic tools I like to use, the iCarsoft i930 (bought primarily to access the ABS system) and the Foxwell NT630 Plus (bought so I could activate the ABS modulator for bleeding). Turns out Foxwell never thought to inform the buyer that the NT630 doesn't have the capability to connect to the Disco 2s, and I only found that out after so much back and forth. Pretty frustrating really.

I was able to pull some actual OBDII codes, the current fault being P1590 (Rough road). I'd think that certainly is contributing to my 3 Amigos staying on.

Codes pertaining directly to ABS : DTC-Front left electrical failure (x2), DTC- Shuttle Valve Switch Electrical Failure (x2), and DTC-Brake light relay

The 3 amigos have been frustrating for far far too long. With all the knowledge on this site, I'm sure it can get resolved.

thanks guys

Old 09-20-2020, 02:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 822 Likes on 599 Posts

The front left code may be a problem with the connector like I mentioned, but the SVS electrical failure means something is still not right with the Option B fix. You say you "changed" the shuttle valve switches. Does that mean you replaced them with a new assembly?

Old 09-23-2020, 06:10 AM
Mudding

Front Left ABS wheel speed sensor has been replaced with a brand new cable and sensor, from the hub up to the engine bay connector.

Yeah the SVS assembly has been replaced in its entirety along with the Option B being performed. I also removed the Wabco module altogether to replace those little seals/o-rings that sit within the modulator. That was actually a fun job, not so fun to bleed the brakes solo afterwards.