Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Symptoms of low automatic tranny fluid Q

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Symptoms of low automatic tranny fluid Q

I swapped out a motor in my 02 disco and even though the truck was at a tilt facing up hill when removing the motor I lost alot of fluid from the tranny. When the newer motor was in and ready to drive I attempted to level the tranny fluid but when removing the bolt to the tranny pan fluid started pooring out. Im confused how that much fluid was in there to begin with and now I have a few issues. 1. I have a delay between shifting from D to R, 2. When letting the gas peddle go the RPMs drop drastically sometime stalling the motor. It feels almost like the brakes are being slightly applied. This happens often but not everytime. 3. When coasting if I slap the gas peddle most of the time there is a clank sound coming from the tranny. Sorry so long but trying to pin point the issues and see if its related to the fluid level. Thanks

Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by me 2
I swapped out a motor in my 02 disco and even though the truck was at a tilt facing up hill when removing the motor I lost alot of fluid from the tranny. When the newer motor was in and ready to drive I attempted to level the tranny fluid but when removing the bolt to the tranny pan fluid started pooring out. Im confused how that much fluid was in there to begin with and now I have a few issues. 1. I have a delay between shifting from D to R, 2. When letting the gas peddle go the RPMs drop drastically sometime stalling the motor. It feels almost like the brakes are being slightly applied. This happens often but not everytime. 3. When coasting if I slap the gas peddle most of the time there is a clank sound coming from the tranny. Sorry so long but trying to pin point the issues and see if its related to the fluid level. Thanks
Basic question...was your engine running when you pulled the fill plug? When checking or filling your trans fluid, the engine needs to be running. Otherwise, all of the fluid will be sitting in the pan and dump out as soon as you pull that plug. With the engine running, pull the fill plug and top off until it starts to slightly drip out.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Default stuff

Okay, but would these issues be related to low fluid?

Old 08-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

So the truck was facing uphill when you swapped the engines, correct?
And with the trans drain/fill plugs in place you still lost trans fluid when you removed the engine correct?
Then I say that you lost fluid out of the torque converter and it is not full thus causing it to not unlock when stopping, etc.
If it does not unlock completely it will stall the engine.
To fix this you need to remove the engine or lower the trans to remove the torque converter and fill it with trans fluid.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bet you wont ever make that mistake that again.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Default stuff

Spike555, can the stalling be from low tranny fluid as well? I dont remember losing fluid from the converter. I had a few drips from it come out when swapping it to the newer motor but thats about it. The only time it could have lost fluid was when I pulled the old motor with the converter attached but again I couldnt say for sure because it was facing the tranny most of the time and the tranny was losing fluid from the bell housing area. Guess I will check the level today and see if that helps the issue before I do anything else.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You guess you should check it!!!! Should have yesterday if you are this concerned.
Also make sure of the color of the ATF, if brownish, do a flush and refill.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes your problems sound like low fluid, try that first.
It is really going to suck if you have to remove the trans to refill the tq converter, I do not know if it will fill up on its own or not.