Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the fluid capacity for the automatic transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:34 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What is the fluid capacity for the automatic transmission?

I drained my transmission last night. I want to do a simple refill with fresh fluid. What struck me was as soon as I took off the filler plug tranny fluid was gushing out , not dribbling (And yes my truck is jacked up and level).

I have no idea how they were able to get that much fluid in there, it certainly was more than the top of filler plug and I know I will only be able to get up to the bottom of the filler plug.

What is the capacity for our trucks and what is the best way to refill with tranny fluid?

Old 04-08-2014, 06:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

around 6 quarts, it came pouring out because you do your final fill with it running.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You refill the tranny with the engine running. fill the transmission as much as you can when it's cold then put in the fill plug a few turns and start the engine. Make sure the wheels are blocked, the parking brake is on, and they have there foot on the brake. Have someone shift through all the gears (stopping at each gear for 1 second). Run through all the gears 2 times and leave it running and in neutral while you fill it up the rest of the way. (The faster you can pump the fluid into the transmission the better because transmission fluid will expand as it heats up so if you take to long, it may come out of the fill hole because it has expanded and seems full, but it really could take some more.

The NAS transmission will take 19.7pt (9.89qt)when dry. Since you didn't remove and replace the filter then you will probably be ok with 6-7qts.

Last edited by Jared9220; 04-08-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jared9220

The NAS transmission will take 19.7pt (9.89qt)when dry. Since you didn't remove and replace the filter then you will probably be ok with 6-7qts.
I just recently did the transmission fluid on my 2004.
It wasn't necessarily cold, but It wasn't hot either.

I drained the fluid, and filled it until fluid slowly seeped out of the check/fill plug.
I was doing this alone, so I hopped up, started the engine, and climbed under the truck to fill it the rest of the way.

Much to my surprise, I was only able to get about 4 1/8 quarts into the transmission before it started to seep out. I ran it through the gears, and attempted once more to add more fluid. But with a mouthful of Dex 3, it was fairly evident I couldn't get anymore fluid in there.

I tightened the fill plug, and It's been fine since.
I'm just curious if it'd be worth attempting to add more on a cold start.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 5 quarts to come out, then got 5 quarts back in, so I'm calling that good. It runs fine.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by TheWhiteRover
I just recently did the transmission fluid on my 2004.
It wasn't necessarily cold, but It wasn't hot either.

I drained the fluid, and filled it until fluid slowly seeped out of the check/fill plug.
I was doing this alone, so I hopped up, started the engine, and climbed under the truck to fill it the rest of the way.

Much to my surprise, I was only able to get about 4 1/8 quarts into the transmission before it started to seep out. I ran it through the gears, and attempted once more to add more fluid. But with a mouthful of Dex 3, it was fairly evident I couldn't get anymore fluid in there.

I tightened the fill plug, and It's been fine since.
I'm just curious if it'd be worth attempting to add more on a cold start.
I think you are probably good to go if you have not had any problems since.
It is really easy to check the fill level though, so if there is even a thought that it might be low it is worth it to check really quick. I always end up returning an extra quart or 2 when I'm done, but I always tell people to get more then they will need just in case they spill some. Nothing worse then not having enough fluid to finish the job.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by claudio413
I got 5 quarts to come out, then got 5 quarts back in, so I'm calling that good. It runs fine.
Sounds good