Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t-case solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default t-case solenoid

so i remember reading that there is a solenoid on my transfer case and that i dont really need it... for some reason i cannot engage lo-range when the transfer case/trans/engine are hot... when everything is cold it goes right in no problem(now that i welded the linkage back together, thanks for the insight as to accessing it) so anyway, since i have been driving around with a gaping hole in my floor where my console should be... where is this solenoid and to remove it what do i do? just take it out? just unplug it? let me know, because the fumes from the exhaust leaks are coming up through the floor and getting to me...

Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I just recently had my solenoid removed because it failed. My mechanic went at it from below, telling me that sometimes the whole drive train needs to be lowered just a smudge to get the clearance needed.
My was removed and we replace the cover after cleaning and sealing it, works great now just now protection from slipping it into low when the tranny is still in gear.
The solenoid is located under the square plate with the dome top and wires coming out.

Attached Thumbnails t-case solenoid-t-case.jpg  
Old 04-29-2009, 09:42 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mike, you use a mechanic?! I just assumed you did all repairs yourself.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

what he meant to say was "xd this job is gonna suck so bad i opted to have someone else fight the freaking thing, but good luck"...

soooooo this is gonna suck

Old 04-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle

but anyway, mike you are saying i can just pull the solenoid and replace the plate and all should be well? it is sort of an optional solenoid? and does it sould like this may be the cause of my problem? or is there another reason why i would not be able to engage low when everything warms up?

Old 04-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
mike, you use a mechanic?! I just assumed you did all repairs yourself.
AT 63 on disability with a bad heart and a pacemaker, no, I am no longer allowed to get greasy.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator

The only function of the solenoid is to prevent you from shifting into low range while the tranny is in neutral, that is all, and when it fails, you can't shift to low.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

well hopefully that fixes it... i may or may not get on it today... i have been taking lots of pictures as i work to put together a good writeup on how to get to your t-case and linkages and whatnot... might as well add removing the solenoid to the list...

Old 04-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
AT 63 on disability with a bad heart and a pacemaker, no, I am no longer allowed to get greasy.
You sound a lot younger on the phone...

Old 04-30-2009, 06:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ok i got it done... you can access the solenoid from the top, but you have to remove the center console, drill out the rivets around the t-case and transmission shifter and move all of that out of the way... once you get the bolts out just pull the little plate with the solenoid in it, remove the solenoid, and bolt the plate back on.... took a little patience but its done, and it was the source of my problem, now i can go from low to high and back with no problems... thanks mike... the picture helped....

Quick Reply: t-case solenoid