Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Tale as Old as Time Ft. 3 Amigos

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 09:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A Tale as Old as Time Ft. 3 Amigos

Hello All,

I have been lurking these forums for some time and without these forums, I would not have been able to complete my head gasket replacement on my new to me 03 Discovery 2.

I am on to a new battle, however, with the 3 amigos. My TC, Hill Descent and ABS lights have been on ever since I've owned the truck and their presence hasn't had any real noticeable effects on the drivability, until tonight. I just purchased a Millenium 70 OBD2 code scanner in hopes to get to the root of my ABS problems. The first thing I did was clear the codes with the scanner. My hill descent light went out, the traction control light was intermittent and random and the ABS light remained after clearing the codes. I then went on a test drive, and it felt as though the brakes on the right front side were locking up and griding. In addition, my traction control light was coming on. Then, randomly, all 3 amigos came back on and the truck stopped griding and locking up and drove as it was before. I turned the truck off got out to do an inspection of the brakes (I didn't see anything noticeable). When I turned the truck back on only the ABS light was on and the locking up / griding continued. The truck was un-drivable and I had to leave in tonight in a parking lot as it was getting late.

Is this merely a coincidence that a short time after I reset my ABS codes (less than a mile) that the brakes began acting up like this or is this normal? My thought was maybe that the ECU had to 'relearn' that the braking components were broken in the first place and until then the ECU 'thinks' it is slipping on ice or losing traction. I rescanned the codes after driving around like this for a couple of minutes and there were no new ABS codes? Is there anything I can do in the meantime to get my truck home to my garage and out of the parking lot? My first thought that comes to mind is pulling the ABS fuse.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 01-08-2020, 02:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

First off, welcome to the forum!

You will need a Land Rover specific diagnostic tester to properly read/diagnose Land Rover fault codes. If you can, return the Millenium code reader and look for a Foxwell NT-520 or NT-530 diagnostic tester. They run about $150 but they can go on sale for about $130. If you plan on keeping your Disco 2 for awhile and have the money, splurge on a Nanocom Evolution diagnostic tester. People are put off by the cost (+$450ish) but it definitely pays for itself after a couple of uses due to not having to pay and go to a professional garage.
Please post your fault codes here. The problem could be a combination of worn bearings, worn brake pads, bad ABS sensor and/or needing to complete the "Option B" mod on your ABS module.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 01-08-2020 at 02:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Brendon H (01-08-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 01:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Pulling the ABS fuse will definitely work to get your car going, but you need to figure out what your codes are if you want to isolate what's not working. I would say either your wheel speed sensor is going bad or your hub is so worn that the reluctor wheel inside is moving.