Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tapping noise - not slipped liner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I already said I didn't, but it's common sense that this could damage the engine. It's just not worth the risk to me and I figure I'd allow the original poster to make up their own mind.

The only way short of pulling a head, sure,and I didn't make it up. It's something I've heard from several reputable sources I've talked to who have plenty more experience than I do. It's great you've never damaged an engine doing the test that way, but that doesn't mean you never will and it doesn't mean nobody has.
You threw a ton of parts at your engine trying to fix your loose sleeve noise, then tell this guy that the only way to DIAGNOSE his problem is a bad idea. You can pull the heads and still not be able to tell if it has a lose sleeve, I have done it plenty of times.

You have heard from several reputable sources that its a bad idea to spray the block with water, they have more experience than you. Ok, Do they have more experience than me? Did they give you examples of cracked blocks? Did they show you? Any proof at all? What are their names? Where do they work?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

How about JE Robison do you think they have done more than you?

Old 03-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
You threw a ton of parts at your engine trying to fix your loose sleeve noise, then tell this guy that the only way to DIAGNOSE his problem is a bad idea. You can pull the heads and still not be able to tell if it has a lose sleeve, I have done it plenty of times.

You have heard from several reputable sources that its a bad idea to spray the block with water, they have more experience than you. Ok, Do they have more experience than me? Did they give you examples of cracked blocks? Did they show you? Any proof at all? What are their names? Where do they work?
Not so. I threw lifters at my block because of the noise, a cam because mine was worn and I wanted to, and the rest because my head gaskets had blown.

And no, they did not, I simply took their word because I trust them. And there is NO way in h*ll I'm posting their names and places of work in an open forum or giving them to a man who is being so adamant that they are absolutely wrong.

We obviously disagree and we are not going to change each other's minds, so I see no point in further argument on the issue.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

We obviously disagree and we are not going to change each other's minds, so I see no point in further argument on the issue.
well i can see the point in it........

Old 03-10-2015, 12:40 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech

To be fair what proof do you have that using a garden hose on the engine will not result in a crack in the block or any other issues immediately or down the road?

I feel like this is something that an expert in chemistry or a metal worker would be more qualified to address, not so much a mechanic.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Not so. I threw lifters at my block because of the noise, a cam because mine was worn and I wanted to, and the rest because my head gaskets had blown.

And no, they did not, I simply took their word because I trust them. And there is NO way in h*ll I'm posting their names and places of work in an open forum or giving them to a man who is being so adamant that they are absolutely wrong.

OK, so you wont spray your block with water because super secret mystery metallurgy experts with no reason to say not to, said not to, that's awesome. Well I am an expert and I say to spray the block to see if the knock goes away because it shrinks the block and grabs the loose sleeve, thereby allowing you to make a diagnosis, instead of guessing and throwing parts like cams and lifters and rocker shafts and oil pumps at it (sound familiar?).

I really don't care what you think, you could think the world is flat, I'm not trying to change your mind, Just don't tell other people not to take diagnostic steps because your feelings deep inside your heart next to the little gnomes in the woods tell you not to spray water on your block. Cause' you're wrong, and your invisible nameless experts are wrong.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by TRIARII
To be fair what proof do you have that using a garden hose on the engine will not result in a crack in the block or any other issues immediately or down the road?

I feel like this is something that an expert in chemistry or a metal worker would be more qualified to address, not so much a mechanic.
To be fair, what proof do I have that the car wont burst into flames if I spray the block? What proof do I have that the tires wont all blow out? How can I possibly prove that something that has never happened may never happen? That's absolutely ridiculous. OK sure If you heat the block to 500 degrees and drop it in ice water, maybe it will crack? I can only prove that it is the best way of diagnosing a loose sleeve. Can you prove it isn't the best way of diagnosing a lose sleeve?

Last edited by RoverMasterTech; 03-10-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:53 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Why is it everytime someone calls themselves an expert, my butt clinches

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (03-10-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

i will go on the record here just so we can continue this spirited conversation.
I have absolutely no doubt that thermal shock can crack a head or block, especially if it has little micro fissures or weak areas. plenty of engineering studies on thermal shock....here's one http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...VsvAQ6mCF6TybQ i have busted a manifold that way (in a water crossing) of course that is cast iron. i have had fresh welded aluminum crack from cooling too fast, that's the reason for slow cooling in a sand bath. (i got in a hurry and dunked it)
i also highly doubt a block will crack with a garden hose treatment, but it is a possibility. it is one of those "possible not probable" deals. and if you can play the odds.......i say go for it. also I am curious as to what if a shop hosed my block and it was the one in a (whatever number) to crack.....do i get hosed, too?

Last edited by dusty1; 03-10-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Hoser!!!!

Quick Reply: tapping noise - not slipped liner?