Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tapping noise - not slipped liner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by expedio2005
What problems can the garden hose trick cause?

Hmm...maybe crack the freakin' block?

My father always demanded the lawn equipment be cleaned before it was put back in the garage. But rule #1 was you let the mower cool down COMPLETELY before spraying it down and drying it off. Again, aluminum block motor.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
I believe drow was shedding sarcasm on it.
the sudden introduction of cold water isn't a great idea. it might work, but has potential to be harmful.
Ah, missed that. These darned internets and their complete lack of sarcasm indicators.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I wouldn't be too quick to worry about cracking a block in a vehicle that has been used for decades to ford streams. Doesn't that introduce cold water directly to the block when the engine is at full operating temperature?

Old 03-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Yes and i believe when ford a stream LR tells you to shut the truck down and let it cool before atempting a crossing. Its in the same section where they tell you to put your floor mat in front of the raditor to keep the fan blade from breaking.
Originally Posted by Fast951
I wouldn't be too quick to worry about cracking a block in a vehicle that has been used for decades to ford streams. Doesn't that introduce cold water directly to the block when the engine is at full operating temperature?

Last edited by drowssap; 03-09-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:07 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has been found more than once particularly on the 2003 and 2004 4.6 motor that was rapping:

"Engine overheated at some point in its life, cylinders were out of round. Sounded great on start up, then would tick like hell after about 3 minutes of warming up."

HTH

Old 03-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Garden hose on the block trick causes more damage than help, I wouldn't recommend it.
Do you have any proof? Pictures of damage? If not, don't post stuff you made up. I came up with that test and use it on every car that comes to my shop with a knocking noise, it is the ONLY way to verify a loose sleeve. I have never "damaged" any engines doing this.

The following users liked this post:
expedio2005 (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
Yes and i believe when ford a stream LR tells you to shut the truck down and let it cool before atempting a crossing. Its in the same section where they tell you to put your floor mat in front of the raditor to keep the fan blade from breaking.

and I've seen many Fords stuck in the middle of streams...

Old 03-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Believe it or not (my '03 is my daily driver and I still think I'm in a dream because it is so quiet) about 3,500 miles ago the dreaded tapping started under the hood when the vehicle warmed up and to me it seemed like sleeves banging around but about 500 miles ago I changed the oil and made the call to try the Pennzoil high mileage 10W-40W and the previous tap tap tap after warming up and being embarrassed at drive throughs is now non existent. The oil is the only new factor in the equation. I will keep posting updates on the status.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:45 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Its strange how on the forums everyone with a D2 is accustomed to the engine ticking and many folks dare say its not a slipped sleeve and that it does not mean the engine is about to die. Recently I attended the Maine Winter Romp and it seemed to me that my 04 D2 was the only ticking Rover their (least from what I could tell) anyways several people commented on the ticking and advised I get it checked out.

Funny how different groups of people with the same vehicle view the engine ticking. Myself I plan on having my engine examined by a trusted mechanic in the near future, would love to shed some light on my trucks ticking. I bought my truck back in late 2012 with exactly 130k on the clock. It ticked all the time until several months ago when I updated the thermostat with the 180 than the ticking went away completely and my engine temps dropped to between 188-197. But a couple months ago the ticking came back after I decided to do a engine flush and change the oil. Now she ticks on and off once warmed up. Engine temps have not increased and no low oil pressure light, 152k with factory head gaskets and factory oil pump.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
Do you have any proof? Pictures of damage? If not, don't post stuff you made up. I came up with that test and use it on every car that comes to my shop with a knocking noise, it is the ONLY way to verify a loose sleeve. I have never "damaged" any engines doing this.
I already said I didn't, but it's common sense that this could damage the engine. It's just not worth the risk to me and I figure I'd allow the original poster to make up their own mind.

The only way short of pulling a head, sure,and I didn't make it up. It's something I've heard from several reputable sources I've talked to who have plenty more experience than I do. It's great you've never damaged an engine doing the test that way, but that doesn't mean you never will and it doesn't mean nobody has.

The following 3 users liked this post by Alex_M:
drowssap (03-10-2015), TRIARII (03-10-2015)

Quick Reply: tapping noise - not slipped liner?