Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tarantino would call it... "The Oily Situation"

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 11:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Ha. Yes. I meant do the oil AND filter. My comment was that it is almost like you already have clean oil in there as so much has been leaking out and been replaced.

If you have an inefficient filter, ie partially blocked, then the flow rate could be reduced. That's the bad part.

I would not swap Rotella in there yet. As it is still leaking out, and you may have to strip something down to fix it, which means swapping the oil, again.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

IMO the plan of action:
  1. Locate and fix the oil leak(s)
  2. Change the oil and filter(s)
  3. Run the engine and top up the oil.

Forget additives (snake oil cures) as they, IMO, never work and are only a marketing ploy for those who sell them and cost you bucks and they get rich.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you all for your input, based on them I went ahead and cleaned it up as much as possible this afternoon, and paid special attention to the driver side, towards de steering box where it's really soaked and usually see drops on ground, but didn't run it yet, so I'll check it tomorrow and the day after until I'm able to determine where it is actually leaking from.

From one of the comments above, what other oil you guys recommend before fixing and actually swapping oil to Rotella? ...should I consider synthetic?

One last thing, I do have a can of Seafoam laying around, would it hurt to pour it in and let it help clean before changing oil and filter, or I shouldn't bother?

Thanks again!

Old 07-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Rotella is not expensive oil, just use it, U may not need to drain it any way,
And don't bother with seafoam (snake oil), diesel oil will start cleaning inside of engine by itself, due to high detergent formula. ( diesel oils R excellent sludge remover's)
If you think you have lots of sludge in motor, just change oil a little more frequent , first couple of times, until sludge is removed.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Winching

Hello All... been away a while with wedding plans and other car troubles, but we're back! ...I finally drained that old oil out, removed the old filter and replaced with the M1-204 & Rotella 15W40 option, plus put a new washer and plug... the operation went smoothly I must say... as per the leak, I've been unable to detect it yet, but it is still going on... I was able to snap some pic that I'll post later on, but it's pretty nasty to see all that oil splattered everywhere... will try to keep better track of how much oil is being used/leaked, I found a place where I could get the engine cleaned and hopefully that way determine where it is leaking from... for sure it's towards the driver side, the steering box is pretty soaked, and everything gets pushed back by the wind I suppose... will keep ya'll posted, thanks again! #RoverOn ;-]#

Old 09-23-2015, 08:22 PM
Winching

Hello All,

This is an update to the "Oily Situation"... still unable to determine where the leak is coming from, but something worth giving some thought is that if oil is topped off the leak is more frequent, I mean, I frequently see oil marks on the ground... but as time progress and oil level comes down, now is at 1/16 of an inch aprox above the lower mark of the dipstick, I hardly see a drop on the ground... so it is more frequent when full, and gradually stops once it reaches "some point" ...any ideas? thanks! ;-]#

Old 09-24-2015, 12:07 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

they do have car washes that do under carriages, a can of engine cleaner and a car wash may make life easier