Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terrafirm Medium Springs - Unloaded Truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motorhead1, it didn't start until you put the springs and shocks on? Check the rubber spring seats and the shock mounting bolts. I had a clunk on a rental grand Cherokee and it turned out to be a loose shock.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:56 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I had exactly that noise right after installing OME MD springs. I had previously installed new shocks on the old springs which did not make that noise, until the new springs were installed.

It went away after a few thousand miles. Never did determine what it was but it was like the shock was slamming the wheel back down to the ground suddenly.

A few months after I did switch from Billstein shocks to OME NC Sports but the noise was gone by then.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I was underneath while a friend shook the rig side to side, up and down, and everything looked great. Watts linkage too. The factory rubber biscuits are installed on top of the springs correctly. I may go out and replicate the clunk over a speed bump somewhere and go from there. Thanks for the info

Old 09-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle

This is an old thread, but I finally found my clunk coming from the rear last night. It was getting to the point of driving me crazy, I was finally able to duplicate the clunk with someone jumping really hard on the rear bumper, it's my RR upper shock mount. I am pulling the shock later today and see if it's the shock eye, or the shoulder on the bolt that is messed up. The shock is a Terrafirma +2" with about 3k miles....Not going to be happy if the shock is junk....

Old 09-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if it was, that happened on a few of my terrafirma shocks.

That and their life expectancy is why I switched to Fox.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:32 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yup, i had the same broken mount on the TF shock

Old 09-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I pulled the shock yesterday, and the shock had no rebound. Something broke internally with the valving...I have a dead shock. Called Lucky8, and they are sending me a new one. Awesome

Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Did the shock have a metal sleeve the same color as the body, or did it have a black plastic sleeve? Good of lucky8 to warranty it

Old 09-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Shock whole is painted silver with TerraFirma logos, and the bolt through eyelet ends have a steel collar (I think thats what you mean by "sleeve"?). You can see on the upper shock end where my bolt threads have been beating on the inner bore of the shock some (shiny silver/metal tread imprint). Im glad I didnt ruin my bolts...Wish the bolts had shoulders vs. being all thread too....

Old 09-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Did the shock have a metal sleeve the same color as the body, or did it have a black plastic sleeve? Good of lucky8 to warranty it

I got the TF HD coil conversion kit from RN earlier this yr and developed a clunk in my front driver side soon after installation. Haven't had time to pull the shock to confirm if that's the issue yet. But with you saying its good lucky8 warrantied it, I've gotta ask if RN will warranty it if I find out thats my issue?

Quick Reply: Terrafirm Medium Springs - Unloaded Truck