Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks (front prop shaft story)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks (front prop shaft story)

A big thanks to you guys on the list pointing out the importance of dealing with the U joints in the front prop shaft. You have saved me from a catastrophe.

I have seen all the posts about changing to servicable u joints, the need to do it now, etc. Well, I have been putting it off. I reasoned my Discovery is in great shape, probably should do it, but why take the time now. I can do it later, right? However, it was on my mind.

Sunday after church, Kathryn and I were coming home, and we both noticed a vibration accelerating to highway speed. Then it went away. It did it a couple more times. It felt like an engine miss to me (having experienced that a few months ago- fixed by new wires and plugs- thanks again for the guidance on that project).

But because of you guys, I took the time to slide up under my Land Rover when we got home. Sure enough, the front prop shaft u joints had problems. The two on the differential end looked dry, metallic residue had sort of "smoked" out around the seals. One u joint cup had all the little rollers beaten out of it,and had beaten up the edge of the cup.

So yesterday 3 new u joints and the ball assembly were replaced. Parts cost? $72.00. Avoiding a major explosion of parts on the road? Priceless.

Thanks very much, Jeff

p.s. 03 Discovery, just turned 114K miles, pampered garaged, well loved.