Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Thermo Help) Overheating... STILL

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default love affair ehh

mines sort of a love hate relationship right now.. im just trying to power through all the PO crap in order of importance... but every little thing i do get me one step closer... i see noticeable improvement in performance with every fix....

Old 02-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I just returned from a 45 minute drive, and everything is working flawlessly. It runs so well, and the heater is so hot that I can barely keep my hand against the vet for more than five seconds.

Phil, I think you were dead on man: THANK YOU. And thank you for the tip earlier, a couple months ago, about switching from Orange DexCool to Peak Global 50/50 green.

Tomorrow morning I'll check the level of coolant, top off if needed, and take it for another nice drive somewhere, between work.

It's so hilarious, the name "AntiChrist". This morning, I had decided (financially and morally) that if I had dropped a cylinder liner, I would drive the rover around my 15 acres so fast in low-lock until it got so hot it was boiling coolant, then drive it even harder until the engine was cherry red and seized up. Then, I would proceed to use it as target practice until we moved to Colorado in May, at which time I would just let it sit.

The interior and body are mint, it had 36,000 miles one year ago. But I swear to God that is what I would have done, and I would have smiled while I peppered that SOB full of .308 ball from my M14.

BUT....

Tonight, easing this thing around corners, and the new tires hummed peacefully, and the heat warmed my feet reassuringly, and the pleasant- almost delicious glow of the green, back-lit gauges, and the perfect 12 speaker sound system thundering Green Day's secret band The Network... the raw power of the 4.6 and the perfect timing of the tranny as I hammered it to pass a Buick...

..It all reminds me how fortunate I am to have been put in a position where I could not only pay cash for two of these babies, but, when necessary, drop $2k into the engine to keep it running strong.

It was 2004 at the Grand Rapids auto show that Mandy and I saw a Discovery, and fell in love. But who was I kidding? I made $17,000 that year, my first out of high school. I couldn't get it out of my head, and in 2005, the year I dropped out of college, I set a white 2004 (I think it was technically an '03) Disco as the wallpaper of my computer- to remind myself WHY I was fighting so damn hard.

I love my Rover more than I love my dog. I hope I can remember that the next time something big breaks

Old 02-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think there are two kinds of Rover owners, those who love them and those who cant wait to get rid of them.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Rock Crawling

OK, glad its running great, so please what did you do to fix the truck??
bad belt routing??
reversed thermostat??
Karma kick , love tap, magic wand, what???

Old 02-20-2010, 09:49 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It was a air pocket.
Because of the air pocket coolant was not flowing through the engine and it was overheating.
It worked its way out and now all is well.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default im curious

how thin is that line between those two types of owners

Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Winching

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, nope.

This morning, the coolant level was perfect still from last night. I started it, we went to town, grabbed coffee. Everything was perfect.

Leaving the coffee shop, the heat went cold. I limped it to Meijer, and the needle began rising, so I killed it, and there is sits in the parking lot.

I opened the hood- the top hoses are so swelled that I can't believe they haven't burst. The reservoir is near the very top, and coolant was apparently shot out of the overflow all over hell.

That's never happened...

I'm done working on it. Tomorrow morning I'll have the garage go get it, and they can figure it out. I'll let you know what the heck it was, if they ever figure it out.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Rock Crawling

do a block test on it .
I would bet you have a cracked block behind the liner possibly #6 or #7

Old 02-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Winching

What would that do, Merlin?

Would that explain why the system is over-pressurizing badly?

Old 02-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Winching

I really don't think I have a problem with the block... I just don't see it.

It runs PERFECTLY... until the thermostat doesn't open. I think I'm going to bust the insides of the old thermostat out, so it can't close, and just drive it like that.

Quick Reply: (Thermo Help) Overheating... STILL