Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thin oil really = noisy engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: thin oil really = noisy engine

Truck is a 2000 D2 with 59000 miles, Head gaskets done a year ago at 56000 miles with new rockers, front gasket and oil pan gaskets with oil pick-up tube inspection done at 53000 miles and have been running mobil1 full synthetics 10W30 summer and 5W30 winter since then.

As said, with 5W30 it gets a tinny bit noisy if you pay attention like any paranoid Disco owner can get, and with 10W30 it is absolutely silent. Switched to a different brand (TOTAL)full synthetic oil cause I wanted to try some 5W40 and a tap dancer resides under the hood only when the engine gets warm. So I'm wondering if I should switch back to Mobil 1 5W30, or leave it until my next oil change if I can do it without any damage taking place.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Darover

Truck is a 2000 D2 with 59000 miles, Head gaskets done a year ago at 56000 miles with new rockers, front gasket and oil pan gaskets with oil pick-up tube inspection done at 53000 miles and have been running mobil1 full synthetics 10W30 summer and 5W30 winter since then.

As said, with 5W30 it gets a tinny bit noisy if you pay attention like any paranoid Disco owner can get, and with 10W30 it is absolutely silent. Switched to a different brand (TOTAL)full synthetic oil cause I wanted to try some 5W40 and a tap dancer resides under the hood only when the engine gets warm. So I'm wondering if I should switch back to Mobil 1 5W30, or leave it until my next oil change if I can do it without any damage taking place.
I recommend going back to 10w30 from what you said. Switching weight and brand could be too much for your Rover.

After switching to a thinner oil and Seafoaming my engine I noticed it was quieter. I also noticed I could hear other sounds which were previously being drowned out by lifter tick.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 11-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Winching

There are so many sounds, I'm not sure which ones are normal and which ones may be a small problem. Nothing sounds too major.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for your input, I guess that's what I wanted to hear cause I just can't stand to hear myV8 almost as noisy as a diesel engine, even if I'd prefer it to be a diesel and double my mileage

Will stop at the store on my way back from work.

Case claused guys !

Thanks to all.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

For the record, I can say without a doubt, that My Disco hates W40 weight. Flushed the W40 tonight and refilled with Mobil1 5W30, and the vehicle is now back to its quiet self.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I am currently running 5W/30 Mobil 1 as it is getting cold here in Denver, and have never had a noise using it.
As I mentioned on an eariler post, this is not an oil problem, more then likely it is a pressure issue and you need to go get it checked ASAP, don't wait till your next oil change.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Mike, my truck is fine. Noisy for me could very well be absolutely silent for you as I am very **** when it comes to my vehicles condition. I'm the type of guy that, even though my Disco has 58000 miles and is 8 years old, it has to be in showromm condition. And you know what ???? My Disco is in as good a shape as most vehicles that are just a year old. If I ever decide to sell the big guy, the buyer will be heck of a lucky one in the way that absolutely nothing will need attention on this truck.

Anyways, thanks for your input nonetheless.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Rock Crawling

Mike, my truck is fine. Noisy for me could very well be absolutely silent for you as I am very **** when it comes to my vehicles condition. I'm the type of guy that, even though my Disco has 58000 miles and is 8 years old, it has to be in showromm condition. And you know what ???? My Disco is in as good a shape as most vehicles that are just a year old. If I ever decide to sell the big guy, the buyer will be heck of a lucky one in the way that absolutely nothing will need attention on this truck.

Anyways, thanks for your input nonetheless.
I wish my Rover had so few miles. Keep an ear out for any changes and you should be fine. If you had an '03 Disco I would be worried about the oil pump. Keep running Mobil with regular changes and she should last forever.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 11-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Switching from the Mobil 1 to the Total brand was like switching from Pepsi to Coke, I've been drinking Pepsi so long that Coke tastes bad.
Your truck is used to Mobil so the Total gave it indigestion.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:35 PM
4wd Low

If you had an '03 Disco I would be worried about the oil pump. Keep running Mobil with regular changes and she should last forever.
I have an 03 with 132,000 miles and mine also ticks until it is very warmed up. It runs great and is smooth and quiet once warmed up. I have used mobil delvac 1 synthetic (5-40 diesel) oil from day 1 when new, with regular changes every 7500 miles. I have noticed the noise at warm up for the last 40,000 miles but that also coincided with a louder exhaust noise. 30,000 miles ago I replaced the exhaust with a new LR exhaust from atlantic british but have had a leak at the joint from the Y pipe to the muffler ever since. 2 exhaust places and the LR dealer have not been able to fix the leak. I have been told that the ticking noise I hear is normal internal noise that is not normally heard but because there is a leak I am hearing it out the exhaust leak. It seems strange to me but it runs great so I don't know if I should really worry or not.

Quick Reply: thin oil really = noisy engine