Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things you do not like at all from Discovery II...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
lack of competent mechanics at a fair price - when you find a good indy shop be happy.
You just had to include the word "competent" didn't you?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
WTF? "Revise history"?
So you're claiming Land Rover has a secret time machine and has gone back and changed all their Range Rover adverts and sales brochures from the 70's?

For the 1970 model, Land Rover called the Range Rover "4 vehicles in one".
Guess what number one was in the list?
- A 7-day-a-week luxury vehicle for all needs, personal, business and social.
Guess what number 4 was?
- A great cross country vehicle.
I admitted that marketing and advertising made "luxury" claims. The vehicle had no such substance. What was luxury about the 1970 model? It was nothing more than a hollow advertising claim. Yes it was more comfortable than a Series, but there wasn't one thing more luxury about it than a VW bug.

It was not until 1984 that the Range Rover ever had leather seats, a upgraded dash pod and door cards with wood trim, which were borrowed from an Austin hatchback and a super-mini economy car. You could call this upmarket push some kind of effort to produce a "luxury" car but I see it as a cheap effort to maintain status-quo.

The revision of history comes in when during the 90's people began to take "luxury 4x4" seriously. It wasn't a joke anymore. Then Land Rover began to claim that they invented this whole category of vehicle with the Range Rover in the beginning. But it was only during this time that they actually adapted their vehicles to fit the new market position.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

All I know is I looked at a RR in '77 at a local Land Rover dealer, and it seemed quite posh to me.
You can't compare it to a Bentley, Rolls, what have you. You have to compare it to other available 4WD vehicles at the time and I stand by my opinion that it was a luxury 4WD. Not in retrospect, not looking at it with 35 years history of increasing opulence of cars, but at a point in time. 1977. I was there, I saw it, I know what I thought.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zoso-
Haha, that pic is both funny and true.
Luckily i found a shop where i live that can do things i can't do in my garage (ex. mount /balance tires, evacuate refrigerant..etc) for dirt cheap

Just a small run down gas station style garage, but the guy seems to be a mechanical wizard with excellent equipment.

Sometimes the most fair/knowledgeable shops are the unsuspecting small town ones, and not the big ones in fancy buildings
I have a guy in a small town in NB. Bought a Hawkeye to read the codes on most everything. Will troubleshoot for me, I can do the work, he doesn't mind.
Works out well for me.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

This depends on the day of the week and what is broken. Some days I hate the whole thing.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

To each his own. Im just fortunate to say that my sunroofs dont leak, headliner barely sags, 6 disk cd changer works just fine even with all 6 disks in - then again I have 131k. And excuse me if I admire the updated styling cues of the late D2 models. The thicker roof rails make the vehicle look more robust, the updated front end with smaller bumper and fog lights give it a more modern look that I can deal with. I spend alot of time with my truck and UNLIKE many of you folks on here, Im not afraid of having just one vehicle - so the extra interior comforts make a supposedly uncomfortable ride on 1`8" rims much more enjoyable.

Excuse my arguments, I guess some of us here are more enthusiastic about our rovers than others and some of us have been more fortunate with our rovers than others.

The following users liked this post:
CPTLOU (07-28-2016)
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
To each his own. Im just fortunate to say that my sunroofs dont leak, headliner barely sags, 6 disk cd changer works just fine even with all 6 disks in - then again I have 131k. And excuse me if I admire the updated styling cues of the late D2 models. The thicker roof rails make the vehicle look more robust, the updated front end with smaller bumper and fog lights give it a more modern look that I can deal with. I spend alot of time with my truck and UNLIKE many of you folks on here, Im not afraid of having just one vehicle - so the extra interior comforts make a supposedly uncomfortable ride on 1`8" rims much more enjoyable.

Excuse my arguments, I guess some of us here are more enthusiastic about our rovers than others and some of us have been more fortunate with our rovers than others.

With all that being said, your headliner still sags. Doesnt matter if its just a little bit. It. Still. Sags.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can honestly say I've never had to deal with the way one of my cars looked.

Don't misunderstand, I adore my Disco. I love so much about it, and I wouldn't rather drive anything else. Except maybe a Defender. Maybe. I am very enthusiastic about it, and it is my only car. But it's not infallible, and some days, when it's giving me trouble, it drives me a little nuts. But even on those days, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

You like the more updated styling of the 04 model, I get that. BUT think about how you express your admiration. You're coming off a bit snooty. A little imperious. It's as if you're saying "Oh, that's too bad you've only got a normal Jaguar XK. I couldn't deal with that. I'VE got an XKR-S."

Old 02-04-2013, 07:50 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never understood the complaints from some owners, last I checked there are no federal mandates to purchase Land Rovers. If it's so terrible, sell it.

But if I had any complaints it would be the location/accsess to the coils and the CPS....apparently Rover thought only person that would want to work on those components would be this guy....

Last edited by yloDiscoII; 02-04-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Gumby!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  Final-GUMBY-gif-animation.gif
Views: 43
Size:  184.8 KB

Last edited by BrandonS; 02-04-2013 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Things you do not like at all from Discovery II...