Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things you do not like at all from Discovery II...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 06:14 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

a very good argument with valid points on both sides. Let us continue to own and love our Rovers. Lets take them to work, take to on vacations and lets take them off-road. We know what these vehicles are truly capable of and thats why we own them. Sure they have their share of mechanical flaws, but Jeep and any other vehicle manufacturer are no different. Honestly I do not trust the axles or the transmissions in Jeeps. I feel safer with a notorious Rover V8 than I do with a Jeep transmission.... If Land Rover has lost its course, then let us reframe from supporting their statue symbol ways and continue to use Rovers for what they were built for in the classic days.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:16 PM
TReK

And remember that taking any new vehicle off-road regardless of the vehicle can prove costly if you ding any of the panels or break anything. Dont forget how expensive a new headlight assembly cost for a brand new SUV! New vehicles cost to much to take off-road. and taking them off-road will probably void the factory warranty.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cars are only two wheel drive? And cant handle snow?
I have lived in South Lake Tahoe my entire life (until last year when I moved out to the Missouri) and it wasnt until I got out to Missouri that I bought my Land Rover. In Tahoe, we would get insane amounts of snow, and my 4 wheel drive Toyota Matrix had no issues. Niether did my 325XI (also four wheel drive). My Subaru Baja killed the snow, and it had the same clearance as a stock D2, and my other cars where lower. I took my Baja on every dirt road I could find, and even my Toyota was off road plenty of times. (please dont mistake me for saying I was rock climbing, because I wasnt doing anything of the sort)I think I got stuck once, during a melt off when I tried crossing a stream in my Baja, needless to say the Baja never made it past that crossing, but it still got me to all the places that a stock Disco would get me, and maybe in some cases (I might be stretching it a bit here) places my disco couldn't get me. Life is not always so simple. Not always black or white, good or evil, and I know of plenty more 4wheel drive cars that can get you where you want to go, even under blizzard conditions on the highway.

All I am trying to say, is that there are plenty of vehicles that could do the same thing as an asphalt only driven disco, and honestly, you could probably pick up more girls with them. I feel as if my views are a bit distorted because I actually know how much a D2 is worth, but its not like you can show off and pretend that you are rich in a D2. Even a used LR3 can be bought for relatively cheap (under 10 grand). If you are buying for luxury, why would you buy a 10 year old gas guzzling, easily rolled over truck/SUV/car? Why not buy a fast, hip, fun, fast BMW XI? Something thats going to get you the girls, get you where you are going, and get 28 miles to the gallon?

But, with all that being said, to each his own, and honestly, if it makes you feel safe, and if you feel more confertable driving your family around in a Disco, I can respect that, and I fully understand where you are coming from on that standpoint.

Last edited by greenharoguy; 02-03-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Two things: The solid axle Discovery is awful for snowy roads compared to a an independent suspension car with a low center of gravity, all-wheel drive, real traction control, real ABS and ice tires. I cannot see the Discovery being justified as an on-road vehicle for bad-weather. It's terrible. Volvo XC, Audi quattro, a Suburu would drive circles around it. If we add some unplowed roads with hills, the ground clearance might help a bit but you'd probably still get nowhere with typical DII tires.

Second, I understand that Charles King was emphatic that the original Range Rover was not intended as a luxury status symbol. I don't believe he's made it very explicit what the intention actually was, but it's clear from early Range Rovers they were not luxury. Personally I believe they were utility cars and although the featured the best offroad capabilities of a production car, they don't appear to have been intended primarily for offroad use. I see them more as an all-purpose utility vehicle. They're much more refined than the Series and it would have been totally practical to commute to work in one, drive your family to the store, or even for your wife to drive it, whereas with a Series none of those these could practically be expected from most consumers. Still, the Range Rover had great offroad capability and the fact was called attention to by very ambitious expeditions.

Unfortunately, the P38 did to the Range Rover what the DII did to Discoveries, only perhaps worse. It was the 90's when this stuff happened and it was at the conclusion of that era for Land Rover (2004) when Charles King made those remarks. I believe the remarks had as much to do with the growing sentiment that excessively large SUV status symbols were socially unacceptable and environmentally irresponsible as it had to do with a desire to return to some kind of off-road roots. I believe he was attempting to defend and justify his legacy as legitimate in face of how the market had perverted it.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by greenharoguy
Cars are only two wheel drive? And cant handle snow?
I have lived in South Lake Tahoe my entire life (until last year when I moved out to the Missouri) and it wasnt until I got out to Missouri that I bought my Land Rover. In Tahoe, we would get insane amounts of snow, and my 4 wheel drive Toyota Matrix had no issues. Niether did my 325XI (also four wheel drive). My Subaru Baja killed the snow, and it had the same clearance as a stock D2, and my other cars where lower. I took my Baja on every dirt road I could find, and even my Toyota was off road plenty of times. (please dont mistake me for saying I was rock climbing, because I wasnt doing anything of the sort)I think I got stuck once, during a melt off when I tried crossing a stream in my Baja, needless to say the Baja never made it past that crossing, but it still got me to all the places that a stock Disco would get me, and maybe in some cases (I might be stretching it a bit here) places my disco couldn't get me. Life is not always so simple. Not always black or white, good or evil, and I know of plenty more 4wheel drive cars that can get you where you want to go, even under blizzard conditions on the highway.

All I am trying to say, is that there are plenty of vehicles that could do the same thing as an asphalt only driven disco, and honestly, you could probably pick up more girls with them. I feel as if my views are a bit distorted because I actually know how much a D2 is worth, but its not like you can show off and pretend that you are rich in a D2. Even a used LR3 can be bought for relatively cheap (under 10 grand). If you are buying for luxury, why would you buy a 10 year old gas guzzling, easily rolled over truck/SUV/car? Why not buy a fast, hip, fun, fast BMW XI? Something thats going to get you the girls, get you where you are going, and get 28 miles to the gallon?

How to get your car out of the snow without a shovel - YouTube

But, with all that being said, to each his own, and honestly, if it makes you feel safe, and if you feel more confertable driving your family around in a Disco, I can respect that, and I fully understand where you are coming from on that standpoint.
I cannot speak for other members here but my passion for Land Rover succeeds "what girls think" and frankly if a women does not like my Rover or my taste in vehicles then she can go **** herself! Same can be said to anyone for that matter. Personally I do not give two ****s what anybody else thinks, I own a Land Rover because it makes me happy and I feel safe driving it around (even with no brakes when applicable lol). Its not about impressing the girls or how fast it is. National speed limits and bad weather limit the purpose of sports cars and typical 4 door sedans do not offer enough cargo room. Did I mention how much I love the unique styling of my Disco?

This is a Land Rover enthusiast forum, and we are here because we love and own these vehicles. If your worried about what other people think of you, miles per gallon, getting laid then best to sell your Rover and leave this forum and let us deal with them

Old 02-03-2013, 06:43 PM
TReK

PS: Did I forget to mention that women who like or own Rovers turn me on? hahahaha

Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of 24 yeard old male isnt worried about getting laid? Wait a second, it all makes sense now! I think I have finally figured you out!

No, but seriously, like I said, if you feel safe driving a Land Rover, and thats what your passionate about, then I can respect that. More power to you!

Last edited by greenharoguy; 02-03-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:03 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by greenharoguy
What kind of 24 yeard old male isnt worried about getting laid? Wait a second, it all makes sense now! I think I have finally figured you out!

No, but seriously, like I said, if you feel safe driving a Land Rover, and thats what your passionate about, then I can respect that. More power to you!

Ill confess:
A: Im religious about how and when I get laid
B: "My Disco and I" prefer Goth Girls!

To me Land Rover stands out of the mainstream crowd and I like to use the slogan: "Land Rover, Take the road less traveled".

Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
Two things: The solid axle Discovery is awful for snowy roads compared to a an independent suspension car with a low center of gravity, all-wheel drive, real traction control, real ABS and ice tires.
I've put a lot of snow road miles on my Series Rovers (several times in blizzard conditions between VT and NJ), not so much on my Discovery, but some, and never had any issues, other than on glare ice in my Air Portable. Yeah, maybe not as good as a low center of gravity AWD car, but I've also driven them through 1-3 feet of snow where a car would never make.

Second, I understand that Charles King was emphatic that the original Range Rover was not intended as a luxury status symbol. I don't believe he's made it very explicit what the intention actually was, but it's clear from early Range Rovers they were not luxury.
On the contrary, the Range Rover was introduced as a luxury estate car, not solely a luxury car, but targeted to the luxury market none the less.
The first time I saw one, next to my SIII, in '77, I thought to myself, "That's way too much luxury to take off-road." Of course, I hadn't read "The Hundred Days of Darien" yet.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It's has nothing to do with being 24. I'm religious about getting laid and I'm 57.

Quick Reply: Things you do not like at all from Discovery II...