Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third row seat conversion Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 11:24 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third row seat conversion Disco II

I have a 2000 Disco II that did not come with 3rd row jump seats but I would like to install them. Does anyone know if this is a simple DIY conversion and what would be involved in the retrofit?

Old 07-27-2009, 03:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts

you could probably find the seats from a part out which are pretty common but fitting them would be a pain if not impossible. I had a 99 with the jump seats and found that they were not really functional if you were over 4 feet tall. they were a great fit for my 4 niece. maybe find one with the seats and take a seat and see if it would be worth the time, probably huge expense and total loss of cargo room.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It can be done pretty easy, but you have to make sure you get the seats, the side trims, floor carpet, head rests, floor fittings / seatbelts etc and ALL the mounting hardware out of scrap / part vehicle.

Not sure on the expense over there, but unless you NEED them, I personally would not bother to be honest. Also bear in mind if you have coils on the back, you will need to uprate the rear springs as well, if you have SLS , then no probs

Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If you really want/need the 3rd row it is best to buy a 7 passenger model then, you are looking at $1000+ in parts then labor on top of that.
And the labor is going to be huge becasue you need to cut up your floor to install the seat latches and your roof to install the headrests.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:07 PM
6th Gear

Thanks all for your input. I'd want to convert mine to 7 passenger for occasional use when we have friends' kids visiting and need to haul the herd around.

I've found parts at dismantlers pretty reasonably priced - I'm just concerned about doing this as a DIY project. Is the blocking / brackets in place under the trim to install the floor brackets, seatbelts, headrests, etc. or am I looking at major surgery beyond replacing or cutting trim?

Old 08-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SBLenger
Thanks all for your input. I'd want to convert mine to 7 passenger for occasional use when we have friends' kids visiting and need to haul the herd around.

I've found parts at dismantlers pretty reasonably priced - I'm just concerned about doing this as a DIY project. Is the blocking / brackets in place under the trim to install the floor brackets, seatbelts, headrests, etc. or am I looking at major surgery beyond replacing or cutting trim?
You are looking at major surgery, to much work for it to only be used half a dozen times a year IMO.
Most people get the whole floor from the donor vehicle and then cut out their floor and weld in the "new" one.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:54 PM
7th Gear

I think I'm a little late to the party here, but I also have a 2000 Disco II and am (was) looking to find a way to do an SE7 jump seat conversion. I spoke with Jim (Biggs LR) and he told me that it would be an extremely difficult undertaking (welding, cutting, swearing, etc.); at that point I asked him if a Disco I jump seat (side facing) could be retrofitted. All I'm looking for is to put in one such seat and still maintain one of the stock SE storage bins. Does anyone know about Disco I to Disco II jump seat conversions? Thanks guys!

Old 08-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Team Owner

Wont look good because the DII is longer than a DI.
The wheel base is the same but the stance is wider, thus the body is wider and the cargo area is longer so you will have ~6" gap when the jump seat is folded up.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dunno where you guys heard of cutting or welding or anything like that, just love all the "myths" / bulls**t that floats around lol, its a BOLT in job, simple as that. Land Rover even do a "kit" for you to do it.

If you have access to the donor vehicle, ALL the parts can be swapped over.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So has anyone ever done the bolt in version?? If so, please post with pics, I think this is a very valuable installation.

Quick Reply: Third row seat conversion Disco II