Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third row seat conversion Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh more nonsense talking, all the holes are tapped and ready for the install. Land rover offered this as a option back in 2002 and earlier, so if you use all land rover parts its the same as having it done at the shop. So now your a insurance adjuster? You have got to be kidding me drowssap.... Not all SE7 came with sls suspension it was also a option to add on so now genius you explain what's different about it? Your using all land rover parts not drilling or cutting or welding anything as I said before land rover tapped the holes in the truck already........ The seat belts are land rover and the bolts used should even come from land rover. This topic is like a lot of others, people jump on here and want chime in ad there 2 cents even if it makes them sound stupid. If you don't have factual information then don't bother you waist other peoples time. If you want or need more seats in your SE then buy all the hardware and seats from a land rover salvage yard make sure you get every piece and go for it.

Last edited by kc disco guy; 06-13-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

is your truck regeistered and insured as a 5 passenger or a 7 passenger, yah thats what i thought.

where are the hole tapped for a rear bench seat? i missing those in my 7 passenger.
I will also bet that the seven passenger option had different rear spring, oh thats right it does.

so when the 2 other kids or (3 kids because he wanted to install a bench seat and make it an 8 passenger) get injurred and your insurance company tells you to go stuff it, remember who told not to do it.

Last edited by drowssap; 06-13-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drowssap
is your truck regeistered and insured as a 5 passenger or a 7 passenger, yah thats what i thought.

where are the hole tapped for a rear bench seat? i missing those in my 7 passenger.
I will also bet that the seven passenger option had different rear spring, oh thats right it does.

so when the 2 other kids or (3 kids because he wanted to install a bench seat and make it an 8 passenger) get injurred and your insurance company tells you to go stuff it, remember who told not to do it.
I agree, your insurance company will see that it is now a 7 or 8 seater and they had it as a 5... They will void your policy.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Thank-you

Old 06-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My .02- I'm an attorney who does handle some automobile personl injury. I have personally seen insurance companies deny claims for injuries/damage to vehicles and people due to the fact that they added extra seating rows. Granted, this usually occurs when people buy commercial vans and then convert them to personal use (i.e. Chevy Astro Commercial converted to a Chevy Astro 7 Seater). Not only will the insurance company deny the claim, however, but the PERSON WHO SOLD THE SEATS could also be liable and named as a second defendant in a civil suit against the at-fault driver/owner.

While many states, including MA, will legally allow you to add the extra seating, the insurance company will more than likely deny any claim where the vehicle has been modified to seat extra people. Note, however, I am not saying that the insurance company will void your policy. I have no idea whether they would do that or not. But God forbid you should be the at-fault party in an accident with the converted vehicle, the claim will be denied, and you (and the person who sold you the seats) would be on the hook personally for any damage to other vehicles or people (including your own passengers).

Moral of the story, don't install the seats, and don't sell yours to somebody else to install.

Last edited by Eaglerover22; 06-13-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Great, so I guess my seats will now sit in my garage rotting forever! Oh well, maybe someday I will sell the Disco and put them back in.....

Sometimes I hate the voice of reason.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they void policies for adding anything or just seats. What about bumpers, lifts, or aftermarket lights? What about the cup holders that go in the center console, or aftermarket radios, or nav systems??

Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Pro Wrench

geeeeze..if we all lived fearing the law.

i see not putting them in cuz you may lose your insurance or not be covered but sell the #$%*ers if you want to. And tell them I said it was okay.

and no one is taking my cup holder away from me.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
Do they void policies for adding anything or just seats. What about bumpers, lifts, or aftermarket lights? What about the cup holders that go in the center console, or aftermarket radios, or nav systems??
Yes, its possible. Like I said, voiding a policy is one thing of which I have zero knowledge...voiding a claim after an accident is another.

Here's a story- Had a client involved in a car accident. She was driving an Ford Econovan with three rows of seats. The van had been purchased as a commercial van, then my client added the seats to it from non-commercial Econovan. Three of my clients passengers, including my client, were injured in the accident. Insurance company would not (a) pay for the damage to the van , and (b) pay for the injuries to both my client and her passengers. Ultimately, one of the passengers sued my client, and insurance wouldn't pay that either, so I added the person who sold the seats to my client and the seat-installer as defendants, and the three(client, seller and installer) ended up paying out of pocket to settle the case.

Legally, its fine to add the seats (check your state laws first, but here in MA its OK). But its not "living in fear of the law," its living in fear of your cheap-*** insurance company who will use any excuse not to pay a claim. Insurance companies don't make money paying claims. They make money denying them.

Honestly, just call your insurance agent or broker, and ask them directly, and have them put it in writing that they will not void your policy or any claim. Its as easy as that.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o.k. that sounds reasonable, however I just bought it. They ran it off the road and was in a fender bender and I have been fixing the headlight area. It has not been insured yet by my company as it is just sitting in the driveway and they give us 30 days to register any new vehicle. So, 8 seater option is out. However, from what I am hearing, I should be able to put jump seats in it and register it afterwards as a 7 seater. Interesting, thanks guys, would not have thought to look at it from that perspective.

Quick Reply: Third row seat conversion Disco II