Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you w/ secondary air

Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you w/ secondary air

Many people have complained about these being a pain and noisy, me being one of them. Here's what I did yesterday to help quiet it down and it seems to have helped a bit, at least for now.
1. Oil gets into the vacuum lines over time and loosens the connections w/ gunk. Pull off the vacuum pump lines, spray some WD 40 on a q-tip and clean out the rubber attachment on the lines.
2.Clean off the receiving ends on the vacuum pump, apply a small amount of lock-tite to the rubber vaccum line connections and reattach. This stugged them up and quieted the vacuum pump.
3.With engine cold, remove the secondary air cover, clean the filter.
4. Fire up the motor and spray some WD-40 into the secondary air pump opening for a few seconds.
5. Replace the filter and cover and you're done.

This helped eliminate some of the noise and squealing that comes w/ the aging secondary air system. We'll see how long it lasts, and I may do the pump again. Noticeable difference when I fired it up this morning.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: For those of you w/ secondary air

I talked to a Driveclean test location yesterday and here they no longer check anything but emissions (and gas cap) and said removing my SAI should not be a problem. Now I just need to find out what I need to plug the ports and I can have it off by the end of the week.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good deal, let me know how it goes if you decide to do it. I was thinking if I did I would keep the system in place and just disconnect the lines, gonna need to make it functional again if you would go to sell it at some point...depending on where you live.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I believe you'll find you can't remove the system cause it is linked into the operation of the ECU, which won't let you do this. You will have fault codes and drivability issues you can get rid of. besides, most states won't allow you to remove the system, it is also a federal law also. Most states won't let you sell the vehicle without the system intact.
In short, don't do it.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:53 AM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Except I'll be able to reprograme the ECU to get around that and it is not required here. I also don't plan on selling the vehicle. If when my computer interface arrives it won't let me cleanly remove it, then I'll leave it in place. If I can remove it, do you know what the ports are threaded with so I can get some plugs?

All emissions testing here is done hot, and for Disco's at idle so SAI will do nothing to affect it, all it does is get in the way and take up engine bay space that could be much better used. If I do remove it I'll keep everything intact in a box in case something comes up and I did end up having to re-install it.