Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you who have rebuilt your drive shafts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 132 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by base
Yea I was thinking of doing the work myself but just too busy. The shop I took her to was going to send her off to a driveline shop to have the work done. Well today they called and said the problem was not fixed and they were sending the car to a driveline shop to fix it. I asked how the driveline shop didn't find the problem the first time and they said they actually didn't send it out. They supposedly have a mechanic who use to work for Land Rover back in the day and they wanted to save me money so they tried to fix it themselves. I also asked what they did to fix it the first time, he said their mechanic "rotated the ball and fixed it". So they reassured me they would send it to a driveline shop this time but she wont be done today. Cant wait to see what they are going to charge for this ****...... There should be a forum for people to bitch about their Land Rovers.
Base -- assuming that they don't have your truck (and keys), I'd just tell them that for $375 they can keep the driveshaft. You can get a new Tom Woods for that price, and there's plenty of rebuilt ones on eBay for much less...

RedAustinIX

P.S. I have about 1K miles on my new Tom Woods, and no signification vibrations noticeable (tested up to about 80mph).

Old 01-04-2010, 08:08 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

keep it, the parts that go arent that expensive.

the payment for a new one will be alot more along with insurance.

I see alot of failures from rebuilds because the weight is gone in the first place and the center part gets damaged as well.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to give em hell when i go pick it up in the morning!! This shop slowly went from from 225.00 when I first dropped it off to 275.00 when they took the damn thing out to 375.00 final bill. I was going to try to rebuild it myself but I have been sick for a week and didn't feel like it plus I am busy as hell with work. Should have tried it because it would have only taken me about a day compared to their 3 days.. Jeezzz.

To clear some things up:
Actually since I purchased this car 24 months ago I have spent over 3000 dollars in repairs. My payments are 350.00 a month without insurance (50$ a month). With repair costs, payments and insurance I am paying 525.00 usd for a used Land Rover with 91000 miles as well as 120$ a month in gas. 525 could pay for a new SUV with a frickin warranty......****e.... If I keep this up when my loan is due in one year then I would have paid 18,900.00 for a used 2003 Land Rover Discovery. Something is wrong here. Sorry just bitchin.

Last edited by base; 01-04-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Why do some of you make it so hard? If you want work done on your drive shaft take it to a driveline shop! 90% of the time if you take it to a repair shop they'll just remove your shaft and take it to the driveline shop themselves and charge you an extra $200 for doing so.

Skip the middleman and go directly to a driveline shop! A real shop won't blink when you tell them what you're driving and they'll remove your shaft, rebuild it, balance it, paint it, reinstall it and give you a warranty all for under $250. I paid $210 to have mine done 24K miles ago.

It's that easy...really, I'm not kidding!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by AnnelieseMae
I did this...had a driveline shop rebuild it and it failed. It failed after less then a year when I had it rebuilt. It failed after less then 10,000 miles. If it had lasted 75,000 I would not be complaining. I'm not going to get this thing rebuilt every 10,000 miles. I've read posts where the center ball kit failed in less than 500 miles and the owners had to rebuild.
Yikes. Guess I'll be keeping a little closer eye on it from now on. 3K miles on mine so far and no early warning signs so far.

Dave

Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LuvToDisco
Why do some of you make it so hard? If you want work done on your drive shaft take it to a driveline shop! 90% of the time if you take it to a repair shop they'll just remove your shaft and take it to the driveline shop themselves and charge you an extra $200 for doing so.

Skip the middleman and go directly to a driveline shop! A real shop won't blink when you tell them what you're driving and they'll remove your shaft, rebuild it, balance it, paint it, reinstall it and give you a warranty all for under $250. I paid $210 to have mine done 24K miles ago.

It's that easy...really, I'm not kidding!!!

-----
Cause these douche bags told me they could fix it. How the **** am I am suppose to know they cant fix a ****ing driveshaft. I found the "driveshaft PDF fix it manual" on this forum and it seemed pretty damn easy to me........
The shop told me they would have it done in 2 hours but then of course I get a call in 4 and they tell me they cant fix it after they tore it out of the truck. So I really have limited options.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by base
-----
Cause these douche bags told me they could fix it. How the **** am I am suppose to know they cant fix a ****ing driveshaft. I found the "driveshaft PDF fix it manual" on this forum and it seemed pretty damn easy to me........
The shop told me they would have it done in 2 hours but then of course I get a call in 4 and they tell me they cant fix it after they tore it out of the truck. So I really have limited options.

you can engage the transfer case to RWD so you can drive your front drive shaft to a drive line shop.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Mudding

Driveline shop said that it's just the center ball kit. Apparently, according to what these guys see, Dodges have the same problem. He said the factory issued drive shaft goes out, has to be replaced, and then unless you buy a whole new drive shaft, it has to be rebuilt every 10,000 to 15,000 miles.

Sigh.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:25 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Cheer up at least a tree did not fall on your truck and demolish your hood and eff up the brackets where you headlights mounts so they kind wander about like a chick with a hot body but gnarly face with a lazy eye.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Cheer up at least a tree did not fall on your truck and demolish your hood and eff up the brackets where you headlights mounts so they kind wander about like a chick with a hot body but gnarly face with a lazy eye.

i still think you can hammer that sucker out.

Quick Reply: For those of you who have rebuilt your drive shafts...