Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought of the Day: Why not keep a Master Annotated RAV on this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 07:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

If the forum had a "parking place" for it, i.e., a google drive check-out, check-in arrangement, that would work.

And while is the potential with mischief, I think that the folks who've self-selected to join this forum behave themselves pretty well and have an interest in providing accurate information.

Old 04-21-2022, 09:55 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandman614
legal issues
Since the last of these vehicles that use the Rav manual are now almost 20 years old wouldn't it be a none issue due to copyright? I'm just asking here as I'm not sure what the copyright length is for Land Rover on these manuals. I know companies are legally required to produce parts for a vehicle for no less than 10 years after which they aren't required to produce parts for it. I know I had a discussion on another forum relating to a GM vehicle that is no longer produced or that division even in existence anymore and GM told me their copyright on the manual and the specific ECU software rights expired after 12 years. Again just asking in case someone may know better than me on the Land Rover side of things.

Old 04-21-2022, 12:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by austinlandroverbill
Here's an example of the comments I added to my copy of the RAV this morning.

Could I get a link to your copy? Would love to have this additional info!

Old 04-21-2022, 12:43 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Betty_White
Since the last of these vehicles that use the Rav manual are now almost 20 years old wouldn't it be a none issue due to copyright? I'm just asking here as I'm not sure what the copyright length is for Land Rover on these manuals. I know companies are legally required to produce parts for a vehicle for no less than 10 years after which they aren't required to produce parts for it. I know I had a discussion on another forum relating to a GM vehicle that is no longer produced or that division even in existence anymore and GM told me their copyright on the manual and the specific ECU software rights expired after 12 years. Again just asking in case someone may know better than me on the Land Rover side of things.
I think even so it could probably be considered fair use since nobody is profiting off of it.

Old 04-21-2022, 01:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

To circumvent legal issues, you can export and import annotations. Unfortunately I am not an experienced annotator of pdfs, so I don't know if it works out of the box or additional software is required. A great way to host and maintain such dynamically expanding information is github, but that might be a little bit demanding for the mostly mechanically focused people here.