Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Three amigos question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Three amigos question

Actually a twofold question. I've got the three amigos, however, the hill decent and traction control light don't come on until i drive 30 feet or so, but the abs light comes on as soon as i start the truck and stays on. Is this an indicator of the exact reason the amigos are coming on?

Also, along with the three amigos, my emergency brake light is on. it comes on, like the hill decent and traction control, after i start moving. whats up with that?

i just did the "plan B" shuttle valve mod as a preventative measure and kindof hoping it would fix the amigos but obviously it hasn't lol.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:44 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to scan the codes. Get an ABS Amigo or something similar for that.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm no expert but I had the three amigo lights and did the shuttle valve wire bypass. After the bypass I still had the three amigo lighting up. I't wasn't until I took my car to the local LR mechanic who had the proper computer reader that was able to erase the codes properly making them dissapear for good. I could be wrong but I believe that even though you have the issue fixed if you don't properly erase and reset the system your car still might be confused. My 2 cents.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

The light staying on could be an open circuit somewhere in the system. Opens and shorts are normally what causes the light to stay on (Or come right back on after clearing the codes). If you think it might be a stored code for a past problem, you could try to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a little while. Or sometimes pulling the ABS fuses out will shut the module down and reset it.
The fact that the other lights come on when you start driving, makes me think there may be a problem with a wheel speed sensor. Which could be the cause of the light staying on in the first place. For instance, if one of the wheel speed sensors has an open circuit. The ABS computer can see that right away, so will immediately throw the code for it. Then when you start to drive, the computer will see the mismatched speed readings and shut the system down. Which will turn the other lights on.
I hope all that rambling makes some kind of sense!

Old 07-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Another issue with the Option B repair is the quality of your ground wire placement. I did "B" but had to move the grounding wire several times before I got a solid ground.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

thanks for the input guys, ill try to find someone who will loan me their abs reader. In the mean time im definitely moving the "plan B" ground. i was skeptical of that location anyway as the clamp is isolated with a rubber grommet and is bolted to a piece of plastic....

The fact that the lights came on after driving a ways made me think speed sensors as well. Is there an easy way to test them for shorts?

Old 07-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

The best way to check them is with a scan tool. That way you can see what the computer is seeing. Other than that, you need an oscilloscope to see the signal. Speed sensors make an on/off square wave as the teeth on the tone ring move past the sensor. It's so fast, it's impossible to catch it with a regular multi-meter.