Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle body heater plate bypass performed

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Throttle body heater plate bypass performed

Simple job turned complicated when the thin plastic tube running from the coolant reservoir snapped in two basically at dead center. I salvaged the proximal end and added about 8" of new tubing to get to the other bypass end after clamping it securely to the attached portion of that seemingly brittle plastic tube from the res. Nice puddle of coolant on the manifold before, bone dry and consistent coolant temps of 187-190 after a 20 minute city jaunt at 35-40 mph. I will likely replace the tbh with kit from AB before next winter(Central NY). Pics show before, during and after. I also had a bitch of a time getting the old rubber ends off the tbh pegs so there they sit. So far so good. My first of any hands on job with any LR so novice work, be nice.

Attached Thumbnails Throttle body heater plate bypass performed-image.jpg  
Old 04-03-2015, 04:41 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

...also downloaded the "DashCommand" app on app store for iphone and using a GoPoint GL-1 module obd2 which plugs and charges my iphone 4s. I found these devices and apps to be extremely valuable. Not only can you customize guages but you get real time data to follow. I have found coolant temp and MAP to be most useful. Have not seen an IAP guage or a oil temp guage on this app however. Additionally tested my coolant system with a dual chamber combustion leak detector kit from ebay for $35, highly recommending both of those units for noobs (like myself) who should be periodically monitoring those systems and performing what I call " prophylactic maintenance" on these vehicles (pumps, thermostats, hoses, regular high end oil changes, etc) much like we prophylactically treat medical conditions to stay ahead of the game. IMO this vehicle is one of the most unique SUV's ever built and perhaps this is why I have such a fondness for them. When they are treated appropriately they give back miles of enjoyment. Here's a pic of one of the guages on the obd2 scanner module and app I have hooked up full time in my Disco.

Attached Thumbnails Throttle body heater plate bypass performed-image.jpg  

Last edited by cimomd; 04-03-2015 at 05:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dusty1 (04-03-2015)