Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistling wind sound within right mid dash region

Old 03-20-2015, 12:14 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Whistling wind sound within right mid dash region

I have noticed at speeds above 45 mph there is a progressively louder sound, a buzzing whistling wind type sound eminating from the right mid side of the dashboard. As you accelerate faster above 45 mph it too gets louder, as though there is a defect in the engine wall so to speak. No air is felt in any of the dash or vent regions but Interestingly, lowering down the right passenger window about an inch makes this sound entirely disappear. Any input is very welcome. I have not inspected anything yet on the interior engine compartment but interiorly I see no defects in the dash or glove compartment. There is little if any heat being pumped out form the heater unit either(live in Northeast).

Old 04-03-2015, 05:01 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

As an update on this, I did a tbh plate bypass, had a significant leak of coolant there which is now corrected temporarily(until I get to replacing the tbh plate and gasket and replacing all the coolant hoses in the fall), but this sound has magically disappeared making me think this was water/coolant being blown into the back of the engine housing and probably air in the coolant system. In any event the coolant level has stayed up and for the time being this sound has cleared.
Question: has anyone purchased the coolant hose kit from Atlantic British for replacement ($275 i think with thermostat) ? I think they are a great source of essentials for our needs and plan on ordering this kit in the fall(or sooner if needed )